• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Penrose - Independence/Patriot on Wed 15th April

COJeepin

NAXJA Forum User
If anyone has the day at home and wondering what to do, come down and join a friend and I run Indy/Patriot on Wednesday 15th April (he has a CJ on 42s and my XJ is on some new 38s).

These trails are pretty serious so 35's is the smallest tire size and body damage is likely. Front and rear lockers as well as a winch are a must. Spare driveline parts are also handy on Patriot.

Meeting at the Park Meadows exit of I-25 (large gas station west of I-25) to leave at 9am and hope to be at the trail head at 10.30am.

dmn too bad not thursday....ive been dying for a reason to go look at this trail
i really wanna see someone run it...prefferably an xj too...
let me know when you run it again

For this trail 35's are minimum, atleast one locker, winch and a damn good spotter!! Expect damage!! This trail system has broken more rigs/egos than most....... have fun!! :gee:

only one locker?...i thought both ends locked up was the standard?...(imnot tryin to run it just curious)

only one locker?...i thought both ends locked up was the standard?...(imnot tryin to run it just curious)

Two are reccomended BUT it has been done with less!!

Oh man, I'm defiantely temtied not that I read traildamages review.

I've got 36's
front limited
rear locker
4:1
4.56's

I don't have a winch, although I do have full recovery points front and rear

what you guys think?

I've got 36's
front limited
rear locker
4.56's

what you guys think?

You won't need a winch on the drop in. :D

Patriot is that the left turn at the bottom or the right? If it's the left you'll be fine. If it's the right turn you'll want a winch.

Drop in Indy will be fine, but the right turn at the bottom is Patriot and that is where the winch comes in. Liberty is the left turn (if you dropped down Independence). I always get that confused too. To me it's just 'drop down 4 waterfalls take a right and then up a bunch of big stuff'

I think with the lockers/limited slip, the 4:1 and the 36's you would be fine (with maybe some body damage - who knows) but without a winch is not recommended. There are spots that if you need to winch there is no way to turn a rig around to winch you over.

Last edited:
Drop in Indy will be fine, but the right turn at the bottom is Patriot and that is where the winch comes in. Liberty is the left turn (if you dropped down Independence). I always get that confused too. To me it's just 'drop down 4 waterfalls take a right and then up a bunch of big stuff'

I think with the lockers/limited slip, the 4:1 and the 36's you would be fine (with maybe some body damage - who knows) but without a winch is not recommended. There are spots that if you need to winch there is no way to turn a rig around to winch you over.

I wouldn't go up Patriot without a winch. Airhole, Coffin Rock, like you said no way to turn around and winch someone. Taking a strap in the Airhole would be hairy...but fun to watch. :D

I've got 36's
front limited
rear locker
4.56's

what you guys think?

You aint got a hair on your nutsac!! :D

Just installed a 9000lb winch and got permission from the wife to go, now its just up to my work to see if they'll approve the leave time. :D

Yep, I'll let you know tomorrow what my work says. I also still need to make my harness and install my driver side taillight. Only thing that might tie me up is I've got JAWA's rig in my garage. Rebuilding his t-case tonight and they gave him the wrong kit. His bearing were toasted, all noisy and constantly binding up when trying to spin them by hand.

I just called the forestry service and they have closed Penrose because it is too muddy. Damn it. I guess we will have to go some other time.

Back