• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 242 Help needed ASAP!!

cherokee89

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All. I need help fast. I am taking apart my NP 242, and I cannot get the pin out of the shift rail/low range fork. It is a tapered hollow pin inside the assembly, and you are supposed to remove it with a #1 screw extractor. I have ruined 2 of them. There is no way to get to it with pliers that have enough ass to pull it out, and I have pushed it from the back as much as I can. This little FUC#$%# pin is driving me insane. The ass at the local machine shop was no help. I am going to forget that place even exists. So, my question is, should I drill it out? If I do that, what do I replace it with? I think a roll pin might work, but I am not sure if I can find a tapered one. Any help would be much appreciated. I need to get this out so I can finish taking the case apart. Keep in mind, the only access to this pin is from the direction it needs to come out, and you have to work about an inch down inside a 1/4" -1/2: hole in the case. Big friggin pain in the ass.

/end rant :cry:

OK. I am 99.99% positive this thing is not coming out with conventional methods. I have killed 2 drill bits on it, and you can barely tell I touched it. So, I am now thinking about drilling myself a larger access hole in the aluminum case. I could find a larger rubber plug, and RTV it in there. This hole is right nest to the shift linkage, and is not on the down-side of the case. Well, it is above the fill-line. Any glaring reason why this is a bad idea? If I do this, I will be able to stick some decent pliers on it, and yank that M.F. out.

OK, so I said screw the pin, and leave it. This prevented me from changing out one bearing and the low range fork pads. I figure, no big deal. Everything went back together just fine, but I have a big problem now. When the detent pin is in place, it is almost impossible to shift the case. It is filled with fluid, so taking the pin out would be a pain. I can do it though. I moved the shift welector by prying very hard, but it should not be this hard. Any ideas what could be wrong? With the pin out, I can shift it with my hand. I am trying to get this thing back on the road tonight. Thanks.

Well crap. Here I am with the same problem I started off with a few weeks ago. Hopefully, one of you will know what direction to point me. I am starting th think I went barking up the wrong tree, but I don't regret this. Here is what is going on: About a month and a half ago, I had the front end jacked up, trying to locate a squeak. While spinning the wheel, I could hear a low grinding noise from my transfer case. I had never been in it, and assumed the chain was going bad. I messed around with 4 wheel drive in my driveway, and had all sorts of problems. As you can tell, I don't wheel. I can barely afford to keep this thing on the road, let alone off road worthy. Anyway, when it was engaged in (at least what the light was telling me) 4Lo, I could move forward and reverse just fine. The only other light I can get to come on is 4Hi. When it says 4Hi, I have no movement forward or reverse, and there is a slight grinding noise when I put it back in park. When this started, I was finally able to get it back in 2wd, and left it there. I ordered a rebuild kit, and completed it this weekend. As I posted above, I was not able to take everything apart, but I am now thinking about the vacuum switch. Does this sound like it could be the problem? I am drained, and I can't think of what could be going wrong. I really need some advice.

Back