• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The low-down on RE spring rates.

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Just got off the phone with RE, had questions about the spring rate of RE1358's (XJ 7.5") vs the old standby 1345 (ZJ 4.5"). From my perspective, the news is good. The original set of 1345's I have run for a long time (mine were like the second set ever made) run 240 lb/in. The new 1358's come in at 250lb/in, which is going to be about perfect for running a 7100 series Bilstein at 285/75. Coincidently, this is nearly the same rate as the old Rancho 3" spring, which I thought was awesome (they may be closer to 260, though).

I think this spring may be a bit tall for 35's/37's with my current axle bracket setup, as I really want to stay at about 6.5" of lift, but I figure I can cut them down fairly easily and still get the rate I am after.

Cool stuff, glad somebody has finally seen the need for a stiffer spring rate as trails have become harder and desert racing has taken off in popularity.

CRASH

BTW, PORC (Performance Offroad Center) can get the springs to your door for $126)

He quoted me $145 to my door, which is by far the cheapest I've come across so far. Is anyone actually running these? I am currious about how much lift you actually get from them.

Just ordered them, we shall see!

CRASH

i've ran them for about a month now, and they ride awesome on street. haven't had a chance to try them out offroad since the weather here in seattle sucks! i run xd9000i winch and bpi bumper and would say they gave me about 7-7.5". in the rear i have a RE 4.5 leafs, 1.5 shackle and 1.5 block. it actually is higher in the rear!

brandon

SeanP said:
pffffffffftttt...coil springs are so 2003.

Did you engage 4 wheel drive in 2003? ;)

CRASH

shimmy said:
wait a minute... all show no go? well, off to the show and shine! lol

not if he has to drive too it! :)

Sorry I feel bad for kicking a guy while hes down, oh well :)

btw whats the rate on my rustys 4.5 springs like 100 lbs/in ? :)

Good info - I've been running the 4.5" ZJ coils plus an additional factory coil spacer and OME 10mm spacer for several years (about 1" combined lift). Would be nice to replace this setup with the 7.5" coils if they actually give 7.5" (no winch or heavy bumper). I could use another 1/2" up front to level out the back. Keep us posted.

Nay

shimmy said:
oh yeah, i forgot to mention that i too called RE and they confirmed the 250 for the 7.5" springs
I talked to them yesterday and according to the Manufacture spec sheet they have for the 7.5 coils it is 200 LBS, who did you talk to and where did they get their info, I had Mike look it up while I was on the phone.

Fullsizexj said:
I talked to them yesterday and according to the Manufacture spec sheet they have for the 7.5 coils it is 200 LBS, who did you talk to and where did they get their info, I had Mike look it up while I was on the phone.
i can't remember, but that kinda concerns me now...

brandon

one thing you have to remember whith their 5.5 Xj coil is that it is the same part# for their ZJ 4.5 lift coil which is a V8 coil and that is why an XJ gets 5.5 because the spring rate for the V8 is stiffer

very true, i also asked the guy why these coils say they give TJ's 7.5" too... while the other 3.5 and 4.5 coils for TJ's and XJ's have different part numbers. he just said that thats how they do it! whatever that means...

i was under the impression that these coils all had different ratings? what gives a 7.5" lift for an XJ would give like an 8 or 8.5 for a TJ...?

brandon

now you are catching on, in the future when you want real answers, ask for Mike, if he don't know he will find out, some of them guys will just tell ya what ya wanna hear

Fullsizexj said:
now you are catching on, in the future when you want real answers, ask for Mike, if he don't know he will find out, some of them guys will just tell ya what ya wanna hear
so then are these giving a true 7.5 for an xj at 200 rating?

Back