• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Official "My Evaporator Leaked/Leaks" Roll Call Thread

TacticalFats

NAXJA Forum User
Now that summer is here, this seems to be a common problem with XJ's, just like marginal cooling systems, rear main seals, gauges working when they feel like it, etc.

Who here has had thier evaporator leak?

Who had it replaced, and at what cost?

If you didn't have it replaced, how often does it last before you need it recharged?

Did sealant work for you?

Who replaced it on thier own?

Mine has leaked since new but dealer keep topping it off till it was out of warranty. 98XJ

Not going to attempt it, too much disassembly.

Been quoted $680 by our jeep sponsor and thats with a good discount.

My 89 4.0 has leaked for a decade no. It does not leak too bad. I just put in some Freon every Spring. If it did not work at all, I would just pull it and convert to a "retro" AC.

me!!!!

Both my xj's did it......

Never fixed it. I had the good old 240 ac

Roll down 2 windows

Do about 40 everywhere!

Mine is leaking on a 99'. I havn't fixed yet. I didn't decide if I was going to try it or pay up. I had it recharged two weeks ago and it is still operating. It didn't loose enough pressure to drop the compressor circuit yet. When it does I will decide.

I changed the evaporator for a Four Seasons unit $130.00, Expassion valve $25, dryer $45, O ring sets $0.40 and Compressor shaft seal $10, I changed myself and It was a 6 hours labor, now it cools like a freezer and external temp is 95F almost all day long.

I changed mine, not really that complicated. The hoses unfortunately had to be replaced because the connections were so rusted. The price the dealership charged was almost a show stopper for me. Had a local shop do the conversion and recharge and knock on wood it has lasted me two seasons on my 93xj.

While I had it apart, I did the rad and the water pump so all in order in the cooling department.

Chris.

My 98 classic leaks. I got it like that, I believe he said around a month til it needed a charge. I'm going to try the leak stopper and see where that gets me. If not, I talked the dealer into giving me a new evaporator, so I'll put it in myself.

My brother's 95 ZJ's is leaking. Dealer wanted right around 1k to fix it. He figured screw it, and I have no intention of tearing into a ZJs dash.
BTW: I know its not an XJ, just figured I'd get my name on the list.

Did it as a freshman in college 8 yrs ago... still holding up... had to do it becuase i snaped fittings on the expansion valve... wasnt too bad a job... wished i was more cautious did it in campus parking lot... air leaks between two secitions... was not overly difficult (i lacked alot of skill at the time) did it with haynes/chilton manual if i remmber.... would i do it again ugggggh i dont know

Well, I have not had this problem in the XJ yet, seeing as I just bought it, but I have had some experiance with it in ZJs. I had a 97 that I had to replace the evaporator because it was leaking ($712 at the time), and my mother has a 98 that currently is leaking and needs to be replaced. She just got a quote of $660 the other day.

I have no doubt that this will be an expense with the XJ in the next couple of years.

Handlebars said:
They don't ALL leak, my '97 still blows 42*. That is at 159,000 miles.

You got lucky, they probably ran out of the evaps on the assembly line that they were using and had to order locally from quality supplier, probably a GM supplier, JIT does not always work.

RichP said:
You got lucky, they probably ran out of the evaps on the assembly line that they were using and had to order locally from quality supplier, probably a GM supplier, JIT does not always work.

OEM can't just call a local supplier and get some parts off the shelf to use in mass production.

:laugh2:

Im glad Im not the only one as I just replaced my leaky evaporator in my 01. But Im suprised no one is talking about their coil crapping out on them because that seems to be a common problem as well

So is there someone making a better part then OEM? I sure would hate to throw that kind of money down the tubes for a bunk part.

BTW mine is an 89 211,000 miles and still blows very cold air :D

My '92 XJ was purchased secondhand in 2002, and the AC just needed a charge.
Now it's dead again, and I don't know if it just needs a recharge, or if it needs to have a leak fixed. The blower fan works fine.

The test to have the leak checked costs $80.
Should I have it tested for leaks? or just recharge it again and hope for the best?

It worked very well when it worked, for what it's worth.

Im getting my name on the list too! Had mine checked recently and its leaking good. Started to tear off the dash panels and whatnot to see how much of a job it would be. Now it looks like Im driving around the Terminator vehicle, from inside. When I got to the point where I had to yank out the air bag on the pass. side, or at least it looked that way, thats where I stopped and decided that I've finally reached a point with this vehicle where I should have a FSM. Called Chrysler Pubs., now just waiting for the mailman to do his part. Good luck to all on this one. Gonna need it.

Back