• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hobart 180 on sale at local TSC.....welder guru..please jump in. Beezel.....

goin4wheelin

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i went today and found out Hobart 180 complete kit with cart, cylinder and accesorries(Include: Face Shield, Sample Spool Of Wire, Hammer Brush, Spool Adapter, Contact Tips, Adjustable Regulator, Gas Hose ) for $583.96(it was mark down from 729.96). the welder it self cost 648.31
this was at my local Tractor Supply store.

Regrading the 220V outlet, can i use the outlet from the window AC or portable heater which run 220V?

It only got 2 left on my local store, please help me so i can grab one while it's on sale.

yuppiexj said:
snap it up... I know a few people that got a "steal" at 599 with no cart, or bottle.

can i use the outlet from the window AC or portable heater which run 220V? the wire's white color, not the bucky black on dryer or range.

goin4wheelin said:
can i use the outlet from the window AC or portable heater which run 220V? the wire's white color, not the bucky black on dryer or range.

The unit has a thick black cable with three prongs 10/3 I think.
I would assume the answer is Yes
the bucky black on dryer or range.

Some of the new 220v appliances are using 4 conductor connections.
It depends on what type of connector you were referring to.

You should have a 220 outlet installed. the parts will run about $25. I have a journeyman electrician friend that did it for a case of beer. It didn't look too difficult, but then again you really don't want to brun the place down if you screw it up.

If you a: are comfortable with your own wiring skills, or b: know someone to help you, or c: are an electrician. then go ahead and do it

check your welders amperage requirement and then check the cirquit breaker of the receptical you wish to use. If the amps on the breaker are the same or slightly higher, fine, use it. If the circuit breaker is lower find a differant solution. You don't want to burn up your wiring!

Hope this helps, Dave

I've had the Hobart 175 for over a year from tractor supply. It's been awesome, can't believe how hot such a small welder welds.
I'd worry about the plug in later it's no big deal, That's a good price , better grab one.

hackedxj said:
I've had the Hobart 175 for over a year from tractor supply. It's been awesome, can't believe how hot such a small welder welds.
I'd worry about the plug in later it's no big deal, That's a good price , better grab one.
or both of them... check ebay for what they are selling for now.

sounds fine to me as far as the machine and gear goes...
better get an electrician to take a look tho...flipping breakers or melting wires or even burning down the house could be fun, but expensive in the long run...
IMHO

who got the hobart 180 welder?

can you check on the plug, how does it look like pls? what style outlet does it use? does it use this one
NEMA_6-20_Button.gif
20A/250VAC Straight-Blade

While your there, pick up an Auto Darkening Helmet made by "Weld-IT" their products seem to have good quality, Ive had my mask since last Christmas and it still works fine. It cost me $45 from TSC. The nice thing about it is that your not constantly flipping the helmet up and down, especially in dark areas.

Centrevillemx said:
While your there, pick up an Auto Darkening Helmet made by "Weld-IT" their products seem to have good quality, Ive had my mask since last Christmas and it still works fine. It cost me $45 from TSC. The nice thing about it is that your not constantly flipping the helmet up and down, especially in dark areas.

it came with helmet too( i think it's the regular one) in the kit for that price, 583.96. will get one darkening one when i got used to it.

woohoo....got the welder.....extension cord/cable/wire...

:) Got the welder today, woohoo... :party: cant wait to hook it up

I check on the main box, the window ac/ portable heater outlet that i got use the 30A double pole breaker so it works.

what i mean by the white or black wire were the NM indoor cable/wire, the one in my houase walls. I am gonna unhook one of the outlet frmo my living room and hook it up to my storege room under my house.

I talked to a guy at Lowes and he told me the 10/3 on my outler will work for the welder and the black wire for the range/dryer, are overkill. Any opinion?

The AC repectable i got 6-20
88030620spec.jpg
can i still use this receptacle? I need extension cord anyway, so I am planning to get me the plug for the 6-20
88030180spec.jpg
at one end and the other end 6-50R.

i found this on ebay and was wondering about using it as extension cord/wire for the welder, what ya think?
30 AMP Marine RV Shore Power Cable Cord 10/3 (per foot)

Back