• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAC Fest 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
No, that's not a typo.

With NAC Fest 2004 succesfully concluded thanks especially to Mike from NJ and CHW, as well as assorted trail leaders and other volunteers, it isn't too soon to think ahead to next year.

Why?

Because Mike and Chris have coordinated NAC Fest for three consecutive years, and they need a rest. This is a first call for volunteers to coordinate next year's NAC Fest. For anyone interested and willing, this is the ideal time to step forward because the event is fresh in everyone's mind so I think (I confess that I haven't asked them yet) that Mike and Chris would be willing to work with their successor(s) to map out a check list of things that need to be done, and a rough schedule for when they need to be done.

How about it, folks? We have a really fine event here, and it's likely to grow in popularity but it's just not fair to expect the same people to run it every year. How about some volunteers?

Same here, if I get some prelim help I would gladly help with setting it up. Missed this years for a death in the family but never again...knock on wood. Juice

I'll admit, im early in my stages of wheelin... i don't even consider my current setup to be offroad worthy(just a wee' bit more cha ching $$$) I have never been on a trailride but am more than willing. I'm not sure if there are smaller tasks that can be handled by myself and others in a similar situation to mine, but if there is anything- i'd be more than willing to lend a hand and dive in a little deeper.

JeepinAudiophile said:
I'll admit, im early in my stages of wheelin... i don't even consider my current setup to be offroad worthy(just a wee' bit more cha ching $$$)
A BB and 30" tires is a very capable setup, you will be surprused where you can go.
In this LINK you can see my Jeep, the grey one, handling some tough spots. Granted, it wasn't extreme but I hung people with 5" of lift and 32's. Don't let the fact that you have a small lift discourage you from wheeling and getting involved!

sidriptide said:
kep an eye out here.. i will be posting another invite to go wheeling out on the mohawk trail soon

mike
Quit hijacking my thread, dammit. This is about forming a NAC Fest 2005 committee.

:roll:

Maybe Mike wants to host NACFest '05 in North Adams?! party1:

Lawn Cher' said:
Maybe Mike wants to host NACFest '05 in North Adams?! party1:

you have no idea how awesome that would be!!!!! (well you would mark) i dont think the mohawk trail is any farther from the midwest crowd than Pa is.... a lil more east but not as far south... i would do it if the BOD agrred on a change of venue... maybe swap ma and pa everyother year?? i'm serious if there is interest...
mike

Now there's an idea... where have I heard that before?

I would think that lodging/camping might be an issue to host the numbers that attended NACFest. I think hosting an official NAXJA sanctioned event is the first step towards making Mohawk Madness a national event, so maybe just doing something similar to the Memorial Day run but under the supervision of the official NAXJA rules is the way to go.

As Mark said -- basically, what's involved is to say you want to do it, then do it. NAXJA rules would apply. Attendees must be members or invited guests, no open invites to the entire New England wheeling community. We would need to have some sort of pre-registration, or at least expression of interest, so we can pre-select trails and trail leaders based on the level of preparation the attendees will have.

We tried doing a Mohawk event around Columbus Day for those who couldn't make it to Moab, I think in 2002. Despite decent publicity, attendance was worse than disappointing. Since then Earle has been running the Mohawk Trail events as his events rather than NAXJA events and issuing open invitations just to get a decent turnout. I think it would be great to see the Columbus Day weekend event be a Chapter event. Maybe it's time to try it one more time.

what about labor day weekend? since columbus day will always be a big turnout from all the local off-road communities.... i will check my schedule and make sure im open that weekend... labor day will offer better weather than october will and it will still be a 3 day weekend even though people are getting jkids back to school around then too... i will PM you and talk some more on this.. thnaks

mike

hey, were are these trails? state? I am picking up an 89 xj this afternoon, so I will be officialy joining the club soon. I am in MD, and want to know how soon the build up has to begin. Was PA paragon?

paragon is in hazelton,Pa and the mohawk trail we were talking about is the nothwest corner of massachusetts.... good luck with the new XJ, the build-up begins as soon as you think it needs a build-up....

C-MuRdaA said:
A BB and 30" tires is a very capable setup, you will be surprused where you can go.
In this LINK you can see my Jeep, the grey one, handling some tough spots. Granted, it wasn't extreme but I hung people with 5" of lift and 32's. Don't let the fact that you have a small lift discourage you from wheeling and getting involved!
The thing that is holding me up is the short brake lines.... if i hit a speedbump i could rip em off...lol I just was too lazy to bleed the brakes and do all that for a BB... But i'm ordering my RE6130 today... that should makle it slightly more trail worthy don't ya think?
So I don't know where any of these parks are, but it seems like both of these are out in the berkshires...that's a good thing. My girlfriend supports my habit, but doesn't love it yet... she's also affraid to drive due to some major accidents she was in before she could drive. But if i mention the berkshires, she'll go. I can't wait to have a setup that is NAXJA legal to join these events.

Last edited:
The runs in Massachusetts aren't in a park. Some of the trails are in state forests and some of the ones in Vermont are in national forest, but it's not a private off-road park like Paragon in Pennsylvania. Trails are all actual trails. At Paragon, the more difficult trails were laid out and cut specifically to go over the largest rocks and most difficult obstacles. The trails in MA were mostly old roads and have become less passable through lack of maintenance. Most are probably suitble for a mildly modified XJ. Therebare some suitable for stock XJs and we're constantly looking for more stock level trails. And there are a few trails that are hard-core only.

IMHO, the Mohawk area trails make for a much more interesting destination than Paragon, because part of the fun is figuring out a long route and determining where the heck you've gotten to when you eventually find blacktop again. Kinda like the NJ Pine Barrens, but with more challenging and picturesque terrain. Don't get me wrong, Paragon is fun, but it seems to cater more to the rock crawler than the trail runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back