• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3-31-07 Exit 38 night run

DrSockMonkey

NAXJA Forum User
Well most write ups contain lots of exciting information about what happened and the variety of adventure had. Sadly this story only has one theme, recovery. Lots of digging, jacking towing and most importantly, education. Ben, Joe and I met up at home depot at around 7:30. Shortly there after a late model XJ with lift, beadlocks, and LA's pulled up. We thought, "Cool someone else is actually coming!" We walked over and the guy said he was only there to shop. Bummer. We told him about naxja and all the wheeling gods that made it their Mt. Olympus. He said he would check it out. We got some gas and food and headed out. When we arrived at the trailhead there was an nice red XJ waiting. We figured this had to be some scab that was brave enough to break the picket lines to wheel with us naxja noobs. It was Cherotron in his 97 XJ.

We made some mud runs around the power transmission line tower while Cherotron(Gus) disconnected his sway bar. We then headed up the trail. Ben in front was clippin along. This being my first time out and after putting on my lift was a little nervous. Not to mention I have no additional lighting and my headlights suck!

We made it to the snow and decided to air down a bit. No standard pressure, everyone kinda played it by ear. We headed into the snow with Ben in the lead. He did a fine job of blazing a trail that I was able to passage with little difficulty.

We didn't get terribly far until Ben stopped a little ways down to say the bridge ahead had been washed out. And that he was stuck. Turned out pretty much everybody was stuck infact. Most impressively was that Joe had only become stuck in his stock XJ after stopping directly behind the person in front of him. We spent some time digging and jacking and got Joe freed up but the rest of us were proving to be more difficult.

Enter the cavalry! or at least the 2WD cavalry. Matt(IXNAYXJ, TRSCobra, Hards91?) showed up and assesed the situation and began to assist with recovery. I was impressed to see how much more you get with Finesse than you get with brute force. Each seemingly dismally stuck rig was unstuck with little more than a shovel and technique. Oh, and a little help once from a winch. I had an awesome time and learned so much good stuff. I really appreciate Matt's showing up despite ribbing and helping despite 2WD. The other lesson I learned, No reverse lights in the dark sucks! Oh, and also rear tire carriers make it hard to see behind you.

Thanks to everybody who came and made my first wheeling trip a blast. It is so great to be part of a community that despite ribbing and trash talking takes care of it's own. Thanks to Ben for setting up the trip and Joe for being the eagle scout with the compressor and valve stem tools. I think Joe will probably post up some pics.

DrSockMonkey said:

Enter the cavalry! or at least the 2WD cavalry. Matt(IXNAYXJ, TRSCobra, Hards91?) showed up and assesed the situation and began to assist with recovery. [quote ]
I didn`t know I was there,I thought I was having dinner and watching TV with my wife.:laugh2: :laugh:

hey gus, Tell Jasmine (sp?) I apologize for all that heckling over the CB. :)

IXNAYXJ said:
MEOW! That trail is so easy...I just need a Jeep that works. I'll be going this weekend to resolve the issue of this phantom lake.

-----Matt-----

Have fun finding it if you don't take me with you :)

I could purchase a locker on friday but i won't have time to put it in. Got any room in yours?

Spaz said:
Have fun finding it if you don't take me with you :)

I could purchase a locker on friday but i won't have time to put it in. Got any room in yours?

Is there a difference between a D35C-clip and a non C-clip D35 locker? Cause if there is I have a non C-Clip Lockright locker for sale...:tear:

Just some photos I took

P3300003.jpg

P3300004.jpg

P3300005.jpg

P3300006.jpg

P3300007.jpg

P3300012.jpg

IXNAYXJ said:
MEOW! That trail is so easy...I just need a Jeep that works. I'll be going this weekend to resolve the issue of this phantom lake.

-----Matt-----

I'm in

Ive been on this run twice so far I'm going to see this mother fawking trail to the end. Who is game saturday night? I am supposed to be purchasing a lift Thursday. Spaz if you get a locker friday we could have an instal fest on saturday and kill this biotch Saturday night.

gimmie a couple hours I'll get the pictures up. I left to going skiing after Friday's shovel fest and went to sleep after I got home last night.

Pictar time

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg