• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 Xj - Starts, high engine speed flare then, engine dies.

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
The Xj has been demanding in March:

Early March:
1 - New high output alternator - winter storage killed the previous one
2 - New East Penn Intimidator AGM battery
3 - Replace fuel pump fusible link with fusible link wire
4 - Cut off ignition spade terminal (at starter relay) and patch with new (broken insulation)
5 - Disassembled Starter Relay to examine; cleaned all contacts with Dremel. Same for each connector at starter relay.

Commutes to work last week were great...except the power steering.

This weekend:
6 - New power steering lines this weekend (air in reservoir) and Cruiser54's valve cover modification to prevent the oil stain on my air filter (http://cruiser54.com/?p=131)

I assemble everything, check vacuum lines and electrical connections before turning the key...all looks good.

Turn the key...start...high engine speed flare (~ 2k - higher than normal)...then the engine drops to zero. What happened? A few similar starts caused me to change the fuel pressure regulator so, that is also new.

Engine starts every time; strong crank (i.e., AGM battery), high engine speed flare (uncertain what IAC is doing here) then the engine dies. Everytime.

Note - I do not always here the fuel pump. I key up one step at a time and I do not hear the fuel pump each start.

Is this MAP, fuel pump or both?

I will look into Cruiser54's fuel pump ground improvement tomorrow (http://cruiser54.com/?p=249). I should check the vacuum line between the throttle body and MAP tomorrow morning too...removing the valve cover may have accidentally dislodged it...

If my memory serves me correctly... Renix, crank without engine start are due to:

1 - No CPS signal; bad Crank Position Sensor

2 - No MAP signal; bad MAP sensor

If these are correct, this suggests my fuel pump ground or fuel pump need work.

Make sure the fuel pump ballast resistor didn't get unplugged. driver side inner fender. white ceramic looking deal about 2.5" long with a wire on each end.

I was hoping you would see my post and respond. Ballast resistor connections were checked yet, I did not check its resistance. I have not checked the fuse either but, I do not expect issues here. Must be thorough.

Progress...(2) starts and a test drive. The additional fuel pump ground made this happen. I do not have an image hosting service so, I cannot attach the photo. Far better than any undercarriage location.

Back