• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk from up front?

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I drove thru a field the other day and ever since then when I drive on gravel or make right or left turns that cause the XJ to lean the slightest bit I hear a clunk from up front I think...Could thise be the front sway-bar or ball-joints going?
Thanks

at that mileage it could be anything and everything

if it only happens when turning (as opposed to when you hit a bump with one tire only) it could easily be the track bar too.

Put vehicle in park and apply parking brake. Start engine and have someone saw the wheel back and forth from like 10:00 to 2:00 while you look at the front suspension/steering and see if you can see what is moving or where there is play.

My guess would be the trac bar. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you are underneath to pinpoint the problem.

it runs from the mount on the drivers side frame rail, down to the axle on the passenger side. About 3.5 ft long, single bar.

Pick up a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual and they have pictures and diagrams of all of those components. If you need to locate anything (trac bar included) and you're new to the XJ, those are good starting points for learning. Shouldn't be more than like 12 bucks.

I have a something that sounds similar to what you are describing, and i assumed it was trac bar or something up front, but after i replaced all that with the lift it was still there. turns out my drivers side caliper is loose areound the bolts (the bolts are plenty tight) and it is getting pulled up and falling back down and clunking.

Back