• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab travel costs

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
If you like to crunch the numbers:

2008 F350 dually with a 40 foot half enclosed trailer grossed out at: 27800 lbs

Moab trip totals:
3315.4 miles after returning trailer
$1446.07 in fuel
414.107 gallons of fuel
Trip total mpg average: 8.01 mpg

Doesn't include all the meals on the road or a hotel on the way out and way back. It also doesn't included the fuel used in the Jeep itself in Moab.

mac 'good thing I could split the costs' gyvr

I have four daughters, I learned from paying for weddings there are four certain rules for the father of the bride to follow.

Shut Up - Show Up - Pay Up and Never, Ever Total up.

I applied these same rules to my Moab trip. The Weddings and Moab were all fun.

I have four daughters, I learned from paying for weddings there are four certain rules for the father of the bride to follow.

LOL

It helps me total for the next trip.

mac 'my daughter is only 1' gyvr

that is one of the best "dad" quotes ever..... my girls are 19, 17 and 9 months... yeah i'm screwed for the long haul.

Owning a small business has it's advantages. I made a delivery while in Moab so the whole trip is a write off. Although my accountant isn't too happy with my expenditure receipts :)

splitting gas 2 ways and hotel/camp site, with Joshs 2005 F150 tow rig with an XJ on the trailer, Drive from CA, one night in SLC, 6 nights at slick rock campground, (drove straight home on the way back, no hotel that way) misc beer and groceries and eating out here and there, ice and small knick knack crap like that, 80$ of ammo at Scheels in SLC, and 180$ in raffle tix I spent just over 1000. If you remove the raffle tix and ammo it was under 800$. Splitting it is the way to go. For 9 days total and all the fun, it seems really cheap.

Owning a small business has it's advantages. I made a delivery while in Moab so the whole trip is a write off. Although my accountant isn't too happy with my expenditure receipts :)

Doug wins the internet! :D

Mine was 75.00 to get the F350 towing the ZJ to and from Moab(it sat all week at slickrock) then 225.00 for SRCG, 300.00 in gas for the ZJ all week of playing. 80.00 for food and another 200.00 for alcohol for the week. And 45.00 for gifts for the kids since they hate when I goto Moab without them. 40.00 for raffle tickets and 20.00 for the giveaway jeep. One of my most expensive Moab trips yet :D

Trying to figure out how to code the special massage in Parumph, eh?

Technically, I bought my Tundra so I could flat tow my rig to Moab. I've added an arse load of parts to the XJ and am planning more, thanks to the cool mods I saw while there. Whatever the final cost, it was well worth it.

$670 Diesel ..11mpg @ 17500lbs there, 13mpg @ 17400lbs Home.. Not bad for a 400k Mile Cummins averaging 75mph
$130 Gas, Jeep did amazing! Came home with 1/2 tank
$210 Slickrock CG ($211 Over priced)
$340 Food (Budgeted $100/day)
$80 Raffle tickets (Would have bought more.. But that HUGE Clear-blue GiveawayXJ ticket box was intimidating)
$100 Swag

I had a "Emergency Fund" That never got Touched (winning!!!)

I spent ALOT less on this trip then I had planned Proving to my wife, This trip is WORTH it...

Last edited:
I had a "Emergency Fund" That never got Touched (winning!!!)

Not even when you were hitting ever auto parts store in town on Thursday morning (just in front of me doing the same)?

Not even when you were hitting ever auto parts store in town on Thursday morning (just in front of me doing the same)?

I was looking for a spare brake line, my passenger side softline got kinked and even tho it wasn't leaking I wanted to be prepared

After the 3rd parts store I finally found a 96 Chevy 2wd line to carry

I returned it on Saturday (I had left my spares at home)

You had better luck than me. I had to run all week with my seatbelt mocked up with the hook of a ratchet strap. Gotta hit a yard sometime in the near future to fix that.

Thanks Charlotte (2.5 year old daughter) for stuffing a bunch of coins in there and overextending the latch spring.

Back