• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Travel Trailers

XJCasper

NAXJA Member #1042
Does anyone that intends on going use a travel trailer for events like this? Anyone have any recommendations for a light travel trailer that is great to pull behind the XJ?

Thanks
Jason

I pull a tent trailer a twice a month over the North Cross State Highway. And I can keep up with the Superduties pulling 30' trailers. And I don't slow for much except a 2 mile 7% grade

Tent trailers are ligth, But a pain to set up, kinda like a tent.

Not sure what I am bring to Northwest Fest. May borrow my wife grandparents motorhome and flat tow the cherokee.

Okay - just happened to notice this from the main page and thought I'd weigh in for you..

Pulled a 14' Burro trailer (not a tent - basically a big egg) that weighed probably 2000 lbs (1400 dry plus the weight of gear) with my tired old XJ to Moab and back from Los Angeles (700 miles each way, lots of big hills) and it wasn't a big issue. Get brakes, get brakes, and get brakes. Hills could be a little challenging for me but I was generally able to keep speeds up to about 70 (I did not feel comfortable at higher speeds - my XJ is a little twitchy without a trailer!).

If you have any cooling issues take care of them first, if you don't have an auxiliary transmission cooler you want one. Also you'll want proper gearing - I got around that by putting 215's on the back (with 31's up front!) so my 3.55's would work well.

Sequoia

My Uncle told me to look into a Scamp Trailer, but can't find anywhere to look at them locally.

No cooling problems. probably could use a Tranny cooler. Running factory gears with 32's. I would also have to get my XJ wired up for an electrical connection to the hitch.

My Jeep is no longer a daily driver. I have been debating taking my time and learning how to regear my Front and rear diff with 4.56 and a rear locker. Was kind of waiting for Aussie Locker to bring something out for the 8.25. Tomorrow I might be replacing my Diff covers. I was going to try and find out what spline I have, 27 or 29?. But? Honestly? I have no idea what I am supposed to count. Any help there?

Thanks
Jason

From your profile I see that your Jeep is an '89, correct? If so you don't have an 8.25 unless you or somebody else put it in. 1989 got Dana 35's without C-Clips (there are some reports that a few later '89's had C-Clip axles, I have yet to find one).

If you do you have an 8.25 you can check the spline count by pulling the axle shaft (remove wheel and brake drum, remove any bolts on the inside of the drum, I'm not sure what's there as I've never dealt with a C-Clip axle, then pop the C-Clip inside the diff and pull it out.) then you would count the number of splines on the diff end of the axle, you'll either have 27 or 29 :)

But I'd take a look at that axle - here's some info on identifying it:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=404793&postcount=8

Oh crap. I better update my profile. Didn't think about updating since I have come back to NAXJA. My first XJ was an 89 and totalled by a soccer mom. Currently I have a 96

Thanks for reminding me. I need to check my VIN for a build date.

Jason, good to see you got the 32's! did you cut or lift more? Both:)

I have owned and used tents, tent trailers, full trailers, campers and motohomes. If I was going for one to pull behind the XJ I would go with a tent trailer. They have great space (for kids and full families), they are very light weight, have great visibility, and you can pull them into very remote places.

Personally I like Coleman trailers, they hold their value very well and they are good quality.

I will be in my motorhome this trip pulling my jeep (on a trailer if I have one by then, if not, flat tow).

Michael

Working on trimming. Stripped out the front Fender liner. Next I have to trim the flares, a little.

Back