• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Learn about your Fall Fling trails here>>>

Handlebars

NAXJA Member #135
Here is a list of trails in the Moab area, researched personally by your fellow NAXJA members. Click on each link and it will take you to the appropriate thread in theTrail Maps/GPS Tracks forum where you will find a description, map, GPS file and photos of each individual trail. Note that you need to be a paid NAXJA member to download the .gpx files.

While this will help first timers choose the trails they want to run in October my main intention is to give potential trail leaders the tools they need to confidently take a group of strangers on a run. You see, every year people show up to the Fall Fling and are disappointed that they cannot run X Trail because it is already full. That is because every year it is the same handful of people who step up to the job of Trail Leader. There are only so many trails run each day because nobody wants to lead them. I can tell you from experience that being Trail Leader at the Fall Fling has many perks.
  • Your trail fee for that day is paid by NAXJA.
  • Your Jeep stays clean because you are in front of the dust cloud.
  • You get an official NAXJA volunteer t-shirt.
  • While everyone else has to scramble to sign up for their choice of trails, you can join a run at the last minute, even if it is full.
  • You will get extra raffle tickets, maybe even the one that wins the 30th Anniversary Giveaway Cherokee.
  • You meet friends old and new who come from all over the world just to wheel with you.
  • People appreciate your efforts so much that they name their children after you.
Yes, this is true! “Handlebars” was the 97,483rd most popular name for boys born in 2008 and 108,234th most popular for girls.

Intermountain Chapter members, I am especially asking for your help. This event is right in your back yard. Do you really want to beg for trail leaders from SoCal Chapter or the Midwest Chapter or the ultimate ignominy, from the Colorado Chapter?

orig.jpg

The 30th Anniversary Celebration promises to be the largest gathering of trail-worthy Cherokees the world has ever seen. You don’t want to miss it. In order to make this event the best ever we need volunteers. Browse through the following list of trails and pick out the ones that you would most like to lead and decide which days of the event you would like to do it. The list is by no means complete. If your favorite is not there, ask for it! Express your wishes to Trail Boss Jeff Turner (XJEEPER) now. If you can commit to leading a trail he will put one or more in the schedule just for you. Jeff will start a thread for trail leaders closer to the event for you procrastinators but if you wait for that you will have to take what he gives you.

On to the trails. These are linked from the Trail Maps/GPS Tracks forum. If you have trail specific information, comments or photos put them in the appropriate thread. If anything in there is outdated post your recent experiences. We all know trails change over the years! In no particular order:

Metal Masher

Fins-n-Things

Spring Canyon Bottom

Beaver Basin

Miner's Basin

Klondike Bluffs

Dome Plateau

Thompson Canyon

Hole in the Rock Trail

Poison Spider Loop

3-D Jeep Trail

Behind the Rocks

Those are all of the trails I have at this time. Additional routes and information can be found in Charles Wells' handy "Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails 2nd Edition". While you are shopping also pick up 2 extremely useful maps showing 4WD routes all around Moab that are put out by National Geographic. They are the Trails Illustrated Moab North, #500 and the Trails Illustrated Moab South, #501.

Who wants the honor and privilege of leading a trail at the biggest XJ gathering ever?

Great trail resource info Alex, I thank you and my son, Handlebars, thanks you.

I will have the draft Trail List posted up in the next few weeks, which will be a work in progress leading up to the event. The more Leaders we have, the more trail options will be offered.

Thanks for this. Once I find something else to make my amazon order go up to $25 I'll be ordering the guide! :D

Re: Learn about your Fall Fling trails here>>>

I'm in to lead a couple. But you can't add rusty nail as an "official" trail. Our permit doesn't co Dr it ;)

Learn about your Fall Fling trails here>>>

Dang, so this won't happen in time for the Fall Fling?

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/JeepSafari2012.html

I though i read that the permit was passed and active for the next 10 years. Im planing to return to Moab with in the next 9 years, just befor the permit is up for renewal.

Pretty sad, i think its the 47th EJS this year, and they were considering shutting this annual event down.

Back