• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32's ON STOCK RIMS

Frog975

NAXJA Forum User
I have some bent rims on my 98' Cherokee, and i need to replace them badly, but don't have the funds right now. I was wondering what the pros and cons would be of mounting my 32" Uniroyl MTR's on the stock rims. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

what size 32's? 32x950, 32x1050,32x1150? You probably will have to expect rubbing at full lock (recommend that you limit turning radius by the use of washer on those nuts) and then possibly you might have stuffing problems...

Kejtar

I'm running 32x11.5 Uniroyal MT's on my stock wheels without a problem they actually stuff quite well. One of these days I'll get a pic...

Yes I too have the 32X11.5X15's, i'm not too worried about the stuffing, since i've opened my wheel well's the max they can go. Plus I have 6.5" springs, so that shouldn't be a problem. Turning, now that might be the most erritating, but i can deal with it till i get my new rims. What do you think about wheel spacers to over come that????

I've got 32x11.50's on stock rims with a 4.5" lift. At full compression I get a little bit of rubbing on the inner front fender(just above spring seat) and a little bit on the inner rear. At full lock my tires rub on my control arms, but if I let up 1/8 of a turn on the steering wheel it goes away.

While not ideal, it's not a problem, plenty of people run that tire size on a stock rim. A little rubbing on the inside is no big deal.

Kejtar said:
how about turning though :D

It's actually not that bad

At full stuff, it hits the tower and front of flare, and at full lock it hits the LCA. It's not too bad though, very liveable and wheelable.

If I could bring myself to trim, I probably would'nt hit the flare.

wait, i think some might have missed the question here. Is he asking if he can just run 32"s on stock rims or is he asking if he can run the new tires on his bent rims until he finds replacements?

Ditto what these guys said.

I'm at ~4" front and rear and running 32-11.50's on 15x7 stock wheels. I'm getting some rubbing at full lock but otherwise they work pretty well. It ramps a 750+ on the 20* and wheels great. Perfect for the tight trails here in Washington.

On stock rims will the rear tires rub the sides of the leaf springs?

With 32-11.50's, they shouldn't. But there isn't more than 3/8-1/2" of clearance. Be careful about checking once everything is mounted up.

Thanks for the input everyone, i'll try it, and if i have rubbing issues, then maybe i'll try spacers. But by then i should have my new rims, so it won't be a problem. Thanks again.

lostcreek21 said:
Have any of you guys running the 32's on 15x7 stock wheels had any tread wear problems or any beads breaking? thanks

I've been running the pre-KM model BFG MT's and run them at about 25 psi around town and commuting and then pump them up to 35 psi for road trips. I run around 10-15 psi on the trail. I haven't lost a single bead. The tire seems to be fairly well protected at the bead as it's in a little further than it would be with an 8,9 or 10 inch wheel. We have trouble here with tree roots geting lodged in the bead. No problems since I went from 8" to 7". The only recent tire damage was on a rock at the Rubicon and that had nothing to do with wheel width.

Back