• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mandrel Bent SS downpipe

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
I'm redoing my exhaust front to back, stumbled across this place out of New Jersey, UPSW Auto Parts selling a mandrel bent Stainless Steel down pipe. They come from China under the name Northeastern Exhaust.. ordered it up and sure enough it's real. Haven't installed yet as I'm still waiting on other parts but figured I would pass along. I have never seen a mandrel bent downpipe available, let alone SS. If you can't find it on their website they sell on eBay also.

c1QqTDSl.jpg

8Nmt19Rl.jpg

The downside is they are stock in size and they don't use the right grade of SS (besides their minimum selection).

Still nice to know the option exists.

I am happy with the stainless tail pipe I got off ebay.

I am bummed the Borla 17039 stainless header/downpipe is no longer available. Having options is good.

It's nice to not have the "we totally did this to clear the axle, but in reality it's probably for emissions" exhaust kink though.

Mine arrived on Thursday
LZBoWgJbZPzZmz5

The flange that mates it to the manifold is much bigger + is not quite the same. The restrictive dent is gone though.
cJD7A84PMgTnGKA

The locking flange nuts I was using before aren't compatible. I don't thing regular hex spring locknuts will work either. It almost needs a conical nut or at least a small thick washer.
sLoaqW67HYNnaLB

I was not able to get a good seal to the manifold yet. I will try different nuts and hopefully more even pressure will let it seal.

Well that isn't right.

Bummer.

Simplest solution is probably going to be a thick washer, and you will need to grind one side of it.

I would be inclined to tack weld the washers to the flange.

Well that isn't right.
Simplest solution is probably going to be a thick washer, and you will need to grind one side of it.

Did the same thing.
Put a whole new exhaust in my '00. An '00 is mostly flanges.
Bought a bunch of stainless steel nuts, bolts, washers, etc for the job.
In a place or two the washer would not lay flat in the flange.
I just ground down the side so it would.

I tacked these in, but I am waiting to get new studs + a new donut gasket before reassembling.

8ztsxeSaaGXjmS9

I didn't mention yesterday, but there was a bunch of red grease with metal chips embedded inside the pipe. That is probably left over from bending/stretching but I wasn't excited about that junk blowing through my brand new cat.

As far as I know this is the only option for a mandrel-bent downpipe that fits the stock manifold. I gladly would pay a little more for them to address these issues and make this pipe a bolt-on.

How was fitment other then the flange issue and how have these been working out for you guys? I just put my order in on ebay. I know the walker is tried and true but having something that will last longer and get rid of the crushed pipe crinkles sounded like a good deal if it works out so i took the risk, figured if nothing else I could try for their "lifetime warranty" any issues so far?

How was fitment other then the flange issue and how have these been working out for you guys? I just put my order in on ebay. I know the walker is tried and true but having something that will last longer and get rid of the crushed pipe crinkles sounded like a good deal if it works out so i took the risk, figured if nothing else I could try for their "lifetime warranty" any issues so far?

I am also interested in the fitment other than the flange. I was going to make one of these since the market is lacking. But just over $100 for a mandrel bent pipe isnt bad considering the time it would take to make that piece. I would be interested to see how it clears the tranny. My current downpipe hits the oil pan.

Its very low stainless content itl weld fine with anything handy.

Lower grade stainless*. :D

That being said: 304SS will still rust exposed to salt. 409 will last nearly as long, just grow a layer of surface rust that's less attractive. Since most of us off-road our XJs, this will be covered by a layer of baked on mud anyway. :D

Back