• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i did a search but i think i pinned my problem down

xjfourplay

NAXJA Forum User
i bought a 89 xj from a guy it starts with starting fluid but when you stop spraying it dies so im thinking fuel pump relay or fuel pump case it doesnt turn on and im going to check the filter too just seeing what you guys though

oh and this is my 5th xj i just sold what was left of my zj lol

i've had this problem a few times and if ur getting fuel the that means ur gas is stale when gasoline sits for a long time it turns into varnish and gums up ur injectors pumps lines everything but if ur not getting fuel then u may have a few bad injectors or a bad fuel pump or relay or possibly ur computer could be gone i had a friend have that had that happen to him on a 1990 xj it really could be a number of things but those are the ones i would bet on

no fuel presure so i have a fuel pump off a jeep my friend rolled in his back yard i only paid 300 and it has 130000 it has been in the ladys garage

xjfourplay said:
no fuel presure so i have a fuel pump off a jeep my friend rolled in his back yard i only paid 300 and it has 130000 it has been in the ladys garage

Well.... if that's the culprit, you got yourself one cheap ride!!!! :clap: party1:

The most likely problem is a bad ballast resistor for the fuel pump or a bad fuel pump relay. You can jumper across the ballast resistor to test, and leave forever if necessary.
xjballast.jpg

You can swap relays around to diagnose the relay problem.
relays.jpg

I had the fuel pump relay die on my '87 a couple weeks back (when I was leaving almost late for work, wouldn't you know!)

Back