• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Power / Comfort" switch for transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark268

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this may be a dumb question what is this switch for and is it functional? Functional as does it make a signifiacant difference?

The switch I am talking about is the one on the dash that reads "power / comfort" for transmission.

Thanks all!

According to my research it does change shift points a tiny bit. Most here say use it for towing. Don't tow, leave it in comfort. HTH

The power setting is the norm for most newer XJ's (HO - newer) that don't have the switch. The comfort mode has a smoother shift at the cost of more tranny slippage/heat build-up.
In stock configuration with 205 75 tires I didn't notice much change; however, with 32" BFG's and stock gearing (3.55) I always leave mine in power mode and 3 (the difference now is more noticable and I want less stress on my tranny).

I also notice on my 89 4.0, AW-4 that the speed at which the trans shifts into 4th and locks the converter is altered by 10mph. I generally run in power mode all the time because I don't like the short 1-2 shift in "comfort."

I noticed that, in power, going down steep hills in 4th gear, the TC lockup cycles annoyingly. If I downshift to 3rd or put it in comfort, it doesn't happen.

Wow this is an old thread... oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back