• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Introduce yourself

Good looking XJ

There are a few of us from VA and MD here, depends on where exactly (I'm in St Mary's County, MD). There are some FB groups that are moderately active too.

Thanks. Just looking to learn some wrenching. I like to work. I’m a former marine. 36 male. I might be going back to Florida in a few months but it would be cool to see what folks like about these XJs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello from NH!

Howdy Folks, new member here from NH. I got looking at XJ's this past fall for a project. Wasn't looking for a off-road beast, but wanted to have a budget friendly rig that I could wrench regularly without breaking the bank(and bounce of an occasional tree and not want to cry).

Full disclosure, I'm a Toyota guy through and through. The f-off fund just doesn't support a Yota though....so an XJ it is.

I ended up picking up a 99 Sport in red, it was all stock w/120k on the clock. I have done a bunch to it already, I will start a build thread for all the nitty-gritty details.

Anyway, just wanted to post to the "hello" thread, hope to meet some good people!

Re: Hello from NH!

Full disclosure, I'm a Toyota guy through and through. The f-off fund just doesn't support a Yota though....so an XJ it is.

Welcome!

The AW4 is a Toyota transmission, so partial Toyota credit!

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Can someone direct me to the section where the build threads are supposed to go? I’ve done some digging and it isn’t jumping out at me.

Welcome!

The AW4 is a Toyota transmission, so partial Toyota credit!

Yeah, I found that out after researching the XJ pre-purchase. I always liked the straight 6. Me/my family have owned all brands of old straight 6’s, damn solid motor that just wouldn’t die. That said, I feel good about the drivetrain in the XJ.

I’m reassembling mine now. Just wrapping up a motor swap with another XJ, sort of complete refurb of everything reachable while the drivetrain is out. All going back together now....

1cf0812f6a3c8a9ca89b55dc023606c9.jpg

Looks good there - seems like it's a fairly clean rig. Only 120K is pretty lightly used for a 4.0 - I'd go so far as to say barely broken in.

There's no single place for all build threads, they tend to be scattered around: some in the chapter forums, others in the Tech boards. Thinking about it a bit more, I wonder if maybe ehall's got the best idea - put the thread in your chapter's forum (in this case NAC), and put a link to it in your sig so when you post on the other boards, the ability to jump straight to it is only ever a click away.

Rob

Strange that there isn’t a section for build threads. I do a lot of forum posting for all that I do, and the vehicle forums usually have a section for builds. The sticky on the chapter forum says specifically that it is not a picture forum....well builds are pic heavy (usually). Oh well, it is what it is.

Yeah, this XJ has 120k on it, and turned out to have a bad motor (cracked block between freeze plugs). It actually ran and drove when I bought it, but it ran rough. The motor I just swapped in was from a 96 w/77k on the clock. So, the 4.0 that you see in it now has only 77k on it! I kept the original tranny and tcase.

Headed out to grab more coolant, exhaust gasket, couple U-joints, and a few other odds and ends this morning. Fingers crossed I have it fired up today!

Hey guys new to being a member but not new to the forums. I figured it was time i payed my dues.
I have a family of xj's... maybe i should reword that... I have a family with XJs. Almost my whole immediate family has had an XJ. Both my parents still have one each. When i was growing up and first got my license it was the first vehicle i drove (2000 Classic Silverstone metallic) throughout high school. 2 of my 3 brothers owned one as well. Needless to say I grew to appreciate them at a young age.
Anyhow here's a couple of my few. The fern green one is from Cali and the stone white is from florida.
49814649001_ee64998bcc_z.jpg

49814840381_f9d392281a_z.jpg

Last edited:
Those two look pretty sharp, Fern. Good to have you as a member.

Good evening! Brand new to NAXJA and haven’t been on forums since Jeepforum back in the early 20teens. Anyway here’s my budget Cherokee wheeling rausch. Hope to join everyone for the big fest coming up in June!
9bbcbae1cdf3bdfc14893936afa83a2d.jpg

We hope to see/meet you too!
Looks like you're doing just fine for a "budget XJ".
Liking the photo, and good to see you're already familiar with the park!
Rich

Back