• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone up for MOAB in april???

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
a few of us from new england are heading west in the end of april.. we plan to be there the week of april 25 - 29... anyone interested in heading west with us? or meeting us there?? would be cool if we could hook up with someone with some local knowledge out there... probably paying for a trail guide for one day and "wing it" for the rest of the week... this is not a NAXJA thing.. who's up for a trip to remember????

ill go if i got my rig finished by then, and that depends on when the weather starts warming up come that time, what is the tarrain like where your going and what difficulty are the trails

catyrpelius said:
ill go if i got my rig finished by then, and that depends on when the weather starts warming up come that time, what is the tarrain like where your going and what difficulty are the trails

april is great weather out there... check this link and look at all the pics everyone posted from Moab last month. http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93
imagine the grand canyon, no tour buses, few tourists, and your rig taking you up the canyon trails instead of a mule..... a good visual picture would be to remember the landscape from the old "Road Runner and Coyote" cartoons.... thats exactly what its like out there....

sidriptide said:
probably paying for a trail guide for one day and "wing it" for the rest of the week...
Don't pay for a guide. Big waste of money. How confident are you guys in your wheeling skills? Even if one of you is a semi-hardcore wheeler you can tackle whats down there yourself. Buy a good book that has all the trails.
http://4x4books.com/mub.htm This is one of the best. Just wing it the whole time. Or that time of year there is always people down there. Find someone to tag along with.
I know someone will disagree with me but I think the guides down there are a big waste of money. I mostly say that because I can't stand the one guy who prolly is the best known.

Or you can pay me :laugh3: :laugh3: . Buy my gas to get there and I will show you all a good time :laugh3: :laugh3:

it has nothing to do with my ability as a wheeler... it has to do with my understanding that i am not traveling 2300 miles to spend several days lost on open slickrock looking for tire tracks and cairns.... hell's revenge is a "must do" and i'd love to run poison spider/gold bar/etc.. i have been religiously reading "self guide" books since last october so i know what trails i want and can probably wing-it most of the week anyways.... if someone HONESTLY KNOWS some of these trails and has run them more than once, i'm sure we could work out some kind of "deal"..

sidriptide said:
it has nothing to do with my ability as a wheeler... it has to do with my understanding that i am not traveling 2300 miles to spend several days lost on open slickrock looking for tire tracks and cairns.... hell's revenge is a "must do" and i'd love to run poison spider/gold bar/etc.. i have been religiously reading "self guide" books since last october so i know what trails i want and can probably wing-it most of the week anyways.... if someone HONESTLY KNOWS some of these trails and has run them more than once, i'm sure we could work out some kind of "deal"..
I didn't mean to offend. I guess comming that far I would want to make sure I was doing it right too.
I have been going to Moab at least two times a year since I was born. Really.
One thing you might want to think about...Last year the IC chapter had a run down there after the EJS. Small group I think we had around 30 rigs. Maybe a few more. I think...but I am not sure that we are doing it again this year. You might want to come out at the same time. Most everybody in the IC chapter is totaly familiar with the trails around Moab.
In that book I showed you I have been on every trail in it except two(talking the mid to hard trails here). I'm sure alot of the others here have been too.
Its not hard to get me or most of my friends to go down for any good reason.
I only live four hours away so its not a big trip.
think about it though before you spend all your money hiring you a cokcy local to show you around. I'm sure there are more then enough of us to show you a good time. Then you can spend that money on beer at the end of the day!

that would be cool.. i was thinking about hitting up the local chapter for interest.. at this point there are only 4 of us and i dont expect many more.. i picked that week because the EJS will have blown thru town at that point and i dont want to deal with congested trails.. i will update this thread as time gets closer..

sidriptide said:
that would be cool.. i was thinking about hitting up the local chapter for interest.. at this point there are only 4 of us and i dont expect many more.. i picked that week because the EJS will have blown thru town at that point and i dont want to deal with congested trails.. i will update this thread as time gets closer..
ya know...EJS sucks anymore. We decided that we don't want to be anywhere near that place when its going on.
Easter is in March this year and the end of april...first of may is the best time to be there.
Keep an eye out on the IC board. I'm sure we will be doing it again this year...best trip to moab I have had in a few years. It would be fun to have ya.

sidriptide said:
... it has to do with my understanding that i am not traveling 2300 miles to spend several days lost on open slickrock looking for tire tracks and cairns....

Mike:

Considering that I know you, your rig, and what you are capable of doing - as well as the fact you were with us out there in 2003 - you will be fine on HR, PSM, and Gold Bar, among others. It's not like you haven't been on any Moab trails before, so you are already used to the trail marks anyway. I think it's a great that you're trying to coordinate something with the locals, and Doc's suggestion of hooking up with some IC guys is a great plan. But, even if something comes up that keeps them from meeting up with you, you shouldn't hesitate to head out anyway with your group.

Actually, having a few of you together on the cross-country ride may be more important than making sure you have the locals available once you get there. Doc's also right about early to mid-May - a very good time to be in the area.

Don't sweat the guide thing - just assume you folks will be able to hook up with somebody, or be able to follow the "road signs". Of course, when you're on Gold Bar Rim - watch out for that last "ridgeline" on the way up - the reverse slope is a bit of a doozy. :D

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Buy the Charles Wells book on Moab and you won't have any problem. His directions are good and he over estimats the difficulty of the trails by our standards. Hell's Revenge looks like a freeway now with all the black tire marks. A blind man can follow it now! I'm amazed at how much rubber it has on it. Avoid EJS week like the plague. Waay too many yahoos there then. I take the family out there usually in June cuz that's when school gets out. Hot and dry but no crowds. We seldom see anybody on the trails. May, September, October are the best weather wise.

the charles wells book has been "required reading room material " since i got back from Moab last year!!! i am just thinking ahead and expect alot of trail markings and tire tracks to be wiped out by the winter but maybe re-tagged for the EJS.. i will keep in contact with the IC and hope to hook up with them up there.. and i agree Danno... EJS = baaaad JU JU... the only problem with going in april is that i may not get out there again in october.. :rattle:

sidriptide said:
the charles wells book has been "required reading room material " since i got back from Moab last year!!! i am just thinking ahead and expect alot of trail markings and tire tracks to be wiped out by the winter but maybe re-tagged for the EJS.. i will keep in contact with the IC and hope to hook up with them up there.. and i agree Danno... EJS = baaaad JU JU... the only problem with going in april is that i may not get out there again in october.. :rattle:
The tire tracks are there year round. It gets used enough down there that they are always there.

Even if IC is not going down the same time you are going to be there, I am SURE you could talk a few of us into going down. You know you might have to twist the arm pretty hard, but we will go.

L.O.S.T. KJ WEST will be there for their annual National run April 22-30.
While there will be many KJ's in the group, there will also be other vehicles too, my XJ included. We had a great turn out last year at EJS but decided to do it later in April to avoid the possibility of crappy weather in March. We anticipate quite a few vehicles to attend our gathering. We have a few in our group that are familiar w/ the various trails. I'm Sure we will see you all there. Can't wait!

Geepfreak said:
Even if IC is not going down the same time you are going to be there, I am SURE you could talk a few of us into going down. You know you might have to twist the arm pretty hard, but we will go.
Being only four hours away its not hard to say Hey! I wanna go to Moab lets go and just hop in the heep and head that way for the weekend...Green with envy yet?

DrMoab said:
Green with envy yet?

you're G'damn right i am!!!!!!! have thought of moving to Co in the future myself.. its sobering when i realize how seriously i take wheeling sometimes... Co or northen Cali...

a KJ convention?? now that would be a sight to see... and to tell the truth if my woman (if i ever find another one with enough patience to put up with this lifestyle) wanted a minivan.. i'd compromise on a KJ...

DrMoab said:
Are you that sore about losing to me? :laugh3:

:wave: :kissyou:
Not anymore, consulted with the staff, said this year would'nt be the best anyway, but we'll make a run next year...... :us:
By the way, are you having a Ball at your swearing into office?

sidriptide said:
a KJ convention?? now that would be a sight to see... and to tell the truth if my woman (if i ever find another one with enough patience to put up with this lifestyle) wanted a minivan.. i'd compromise on a KJ...

http://www.lostkjwest.com/moab.htm

mb33.jpg

mb34.jpg

Back