• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Our own Nat event

Fullsizexj

NAXJA Forum User
You realize we do not have a national event for our chapter, why not, we could hold one at Harlen county, expense would be next to nothin since all the camp facilities are free. I could arrange with Shoope1 for guides for the event. Any one interested in something like this

YOu do Realize that we do have a National event called the Cherokee Crawl...it was held in July at Tellico.

How about another one then, or at least a regular chapter event there, you have seen it, great place to wheel

A few of us were there a few weekends ago and will be back there in Dec...But we have our annual Fall Flog @ Tellico first weekend in Nov.

What sort of facilities do they have in Harlan (either Evarts or Cumberland side) that lends itself to a "National" event? I was there in Feb... we camped on a concrete slab...a demolished gas station... with a beautiful view of twice-daily coal trains. They had a 120v service pole and a hose... and a couple porta-johns that blew over in the wind...that was it!

I am pretty hard-core when it comes to accomodations, and don't need a lot of fru-fru... but in good conscience, I couldn't recommend the area as a place to attract FAMILIES from far-away places... I mean what else is there to do there? Sit & watch the trains go by?

Until I see some drastic improvements to the facilities, I'd just recommend it as a place "for the guys" to go and 'wheel. Oh it IS good wheeling too, especially in the snow, but everything else lacked from the perspective of hosting a National Event there.

They have the campgrounds over by the new jail, from what I was told they now have bathrooms and showers, I can check with shoope1 to confirm

Fullsizexj said:
They have the campgrounds over by the new jail, from what I was told they now have bathrooms and showers, I can check with shoope1 to confirm

COOOOLLL !!!!!!

I wanna have my 15 year old daughters camping "over by the new jail".......:wierd:

Sorry, I'll pass until I get a chance to verify facilities myself.

Why would you want to hold a National event for your chapter in the MW's area?
That'd be like the MWC holding Winterfest in Tellico.

OT said:
Why would you want to hold a National event for your chapter in the MW's area?
That'd be like the MWC holding Winterfest in Tellico.

LOLers... MWC claiming SE KY or eastern TN as Midwest territory?

Hint... don't mention that concept to the locals... they know all the good places to hide bodies.

Actually I am not saying Harlan isn't a great wheeling destination, it's just that other than the trails, there is very little to do, and neither really sanitary or family friendly accomodations to host/base an event at.

S'ok,
I not goin to keel you mangs.

Terry, come ere and shoot thees piece a chit.

they have a pretty nice campground(that is no where near a new jail), showers, and several cabins that can be rented. The trail head goes out of the back of the camp ground so there's no 10mile commute to the trails. There is a service trail that runs to nearly every trail there making towing break downs out quick and simple. Most trails loop back to this main rd. So if you rig isn't up to the task, you can simply sit and watch others as they loop back to the main trail. The locals realize this park is a good thing and take care of the trail riders (least the ones we met did). we drove 6 unlicensed buggys down the main rd and past several local police and even a state patrol and got nothing but waves. I'd say this place is more than suited for a "big meeting". There is a decent sized town and Walmart less than 10 minutes from the camp ground also. I've been a couple of times and it was well worth the drive (it's the same distance from me as Tellico or windrock).

Back