• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Behind Cargo Area Panel Storage Space

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
On my 1990 XJ the passenger side rear cargo area panel, below the rear quarter window, well there is a lot of space behind that panel. The panel has a receased cubby hole molded into the panel, but it is small, not deep, and kind of useless. I want to cut that out and use the new opening to access the space behind the panel. I also want to make some sort of door or cover over the opening I cut. perhaps the cover made of press board covered with carpet.

How have you all fabricated a door or cover? I am thinking a removable cover rather than a hinged door. What kind of fasteners to hold the cover in place?

Have any of you added shelving or such in that space?

Ideas?

thanks!

Might not be quite what you're looking for but a couple manufacturer I've seen make molle panels that attach in front of that cubby. Makes the cubby useable plus gives you added storage on the front of the molle panel.

On my 1990 XJ the passenger side rear cargo area panel, below the rear quarter window, well there is a lot of space behind that panel. The panel has a receased cubby hole molded into the panel, but it is small, not deep, and kind of useless. I want to cut that out and use the new opening to access the space behind the panel. I also want to make some sort of door or cover over the opening I cut. perhaps the cover made of press board covered with carpet.

How have you all fabricated a door or cover? I am thinking a removable cover rather than a hinged door. What kind of fasteners to hold the cover in place?

Have any of you added shelving or such in that space?

Ideas?

thanks!
Sheetmetal door with magnets would be a logical choice for me. Masonite would be an alternative door option, same fasteners.

I cut a 'one way' road sign to make the cubby a pocket and cut some molle loop holes in it. Free and useful.

As long as the body is intact in there, why not?

That said, any water intrusion into there (rusted lower quarters, quarter window leaks, etc.), introduces a possible risk of water/dirt/etc. getting into whatever you store in there.

Also, since that's where the tail light sub-harness connects into the main body harness, make sure you can still get to it, and that you don't crowd the tail light sockets themselves (those old ones stick out a bit from the light housings, as I'm sure you are aware).

my thought is use this place for automotive fluid storage, spare gear oil, atf, antifreeze, motor oil. and possibly for some tools. The driveside panel have my air compressor behind it, but there is no hatch on that side.

Ah. Not a bad idea - any leaks from the oil would help with rustproofing :D

Back