• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Went to buy an xj today and...

Nickster

NAXJA Forum User
Was basically laughed at when i offered 5g for it...Sticker was 6999. Its a 99 sport. 95k miles. auto... in NC. I looked up the KBB, NADA, and TMV values before i went in and 5g seemed more than reasonable. So my eye is now on a 99 sport w/ 78k miles, auto... sticker is 7500. What should i offer and what should i not pay more than? i realize every dealer in every state is different but since i cant use KBB and NADA to determine a fair price maybe u guys can help. Thanks

why buy from a dealer? Just for referece (and I think I got a killer deal) but, I paid $7000.00 for my 98 Limited (leather, wood, all that stuff) w/ an ARB, Rocky Road Outfitters Rails, and 5 new 31" BFG AT's... oh and 67k on the clock.

Look around in the area for private parties on Auto Trader....

WheelinJR said:
Sometimes people need to finance, and that is easier to deal with direct from a dealer, bout the only reason to buy from a lot really.

You can always try to get a bank or credit union to finance for you as well, when buying from a private party. Harder, yes, but it still can be done.

Craigslist all the way. Just picked mine up last month from the Wilmington Craigslist. It's a 1996 Classic with only 60k miles and one owner for 3100. They are out there, just give it time and you will find the right one.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the market is slim on xj's with my criteria. Im lookin for 96-99 sport 4wd, auto, hopefully 8.8, less than 100k. and for no more than 7g. Im only searchin 100 miles from my zip, i might have to go further out. I was tryin to avoid anything west of TN and north of NC. I would love to find a private seller but in the past interest rates from banks and credit unions were a bit high and they only give you the tax value of the car and id have to make up the difference (student salary :helpme:). I have a great credit score just not much credit history...ill be 21 in a few months. Im also tryin to trade my truck in (06 nissan fronty 9k, ill take a hit on that for sure). Im probably a bit to optimistic with my searching but ill just wait for a good one to come about. If anyone knows any xj's like im lookin for any help would be more than appreciated. Thaks again.

Nickster said:
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the market is slim on xj's with my criteria. Im lookin for 96-99 sport 4wd, auto, hopefully 8.8, less than 100k. and for no more than 7g. Im only searchin 100 miles from my zip, i might have to go further out. I was tryin to avoid anything west of TN and north of NC. I would love to find a private seller but in the past interest rates from banks and credit unions were a bit high and they only give you the tax value of the car and id have to make up the difference (student salary :helpme:). I have a great credit score just not much credit history...ill be 21 in a few months. Im also tryin to trade my truck in (06 nissan fronty 9k, ill take a hit on that for sure). Im probably a bit to optimistic with my searching but ill just wait for a good one to come about. If anyone knows any xj's like im lookin for any help would be more than appreciated. Thaks again.

The 8.8 is gonna make your search even harded.....

Yeah credit unions are the way to go... they may even give you a personal loan where you keep the title and not the bank.. The dealerships are going to eat you up on the Nissan so my as well take it to Carmax and see what they offer to buy it outright. Then just finance the difference in w/ the XJ. You should easily be able to find one in your range....

But you're probably going to have to swap in the Ford axle :wow:

Carmax offered 15.5g for the nissan. KBB trade in was 18.5 good condition. It has 9k and is easily in excellent condition..but whatever...i wasnt expecting much. I owe 18g on it. So if i trade it in to carmax and then get a loan from the bank or CU to get a xj from a private party how is the difference transferred? I cant cover the difference im trying not to take out student loans for college so im broke.

Man I feel for you but if you're broke why did you go and buy a $20,000 truck? Carmax generally offers KBB Trade-In (good condition)... so I dont know what to say... If it were me, I would spend the $50.00 and list my truck on Auto Trader... try to sell it first then find an XJ... or get a peice of crap beater until you can find one...

Initially i had a job that i couldve afforded the truck with. But school conflicted and i had to get a PT job. Seems like my only option is to find an xj at a dealer and trade in and payoff the balance. If i get that 99 sport for around 6g then ill have to payoff approx. 9g on a 99 sport with 78k. Not terrible... I do plan on keepin the xj til it dies. However if anyone knows if it is possible to trade in a car at one place and transfer the loan balance to a new car loan elsewhere, please let me know!?
And on a positive note, this is the only debt i have (no credit cards or student loans) so dont feel bad, i did this to myself... damn cars.

Last edited:
i think edmunds.com will adjust the price to your region if you enter the zip code. KBB, AND NADA are just recomendations or guidelines dont let a seller think its the gospel or the "minimum" etc. Edmunds is also nice since it will adjust the value based on milage and you can enter any number of options like: moon roof, power options, towing package, hitch, heated seats, heated mirrors, climate control etc etc. And it will deduct for a 4 banger on the xj, things like that. so you can get a much more accurate price than NADA or KBB which gives you 3 price ranges or is it 4 ? and a few condition parameters.

check it out.

Paid $5,000 for my 96 2-door, 2.5L, 74k miles, one year ago. They were asking something like 6200, but I drove all the way to PA with 5 grand in cash and they came down. Anytime I buy a used vehicle I go to the dealer with cash. They've got a soft spot for the green and you can usually swindle 'em pretty easy when you're waving a couple g's in their face.

I got edmunds.com TMV value...is this what ur talkin about motorcity?

I always thought that the dealers made money off the interest if you get a loan term and pay no money down. Ive gone w/ and w/o cash down and it never made a difference on the purchase price. I always hammer them down on the price too.

Back