• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Operation Overcompensation

cracker

NAXJA Forum User
It is hard to beleive this is what my junk used to be:
FileHandler.ashx

Well, today I started phase # 437 on my XJ build up.

Here it is as you all can remember it. It is getting a couple of mods that should take it up a notch. When this work is completed I really shouldn't wheel it hard until I get all the cage/frame stiffening done.

I should have the work done within the next two weeks. If anyone is in the South Pasadena area and wants to pick up a wrench, let me know :wave:

The last pic of as it was:
FileHandler.ashx

And this is how it was left tonight:
FileHandler.ashx

FileHandler.ashx

And this is the end of the venerable 8.8. It took quite a bit of abuse and never winked an eye. It is ready to go to Texas for its new home :wave: .

FileHandler.ashx

Tomorrow is another long night of still dismantling.

Last edited:
Are you going to overhaul your front passenger seat while your at it?

At least you got the name of this thread right. :D

Is that all you did in one day? Sheese I'd have it half stripped out.

Mike R

Last edited:
cal said:
Are you going to overhaul your front passenger seat while your at it?

Unless I get one for free, no. I don't sit there ;)

0313 said:
Where are the replacement axle pics?

Have patients my child..........

give it time.

Another night of wrenching. Not too much accomplished. .

(please forgive my webhosting :( )

Started off the night trying on a new 5 bolt rotor to replace my 6 bolt ones. It is a little different. I am going to try a different set of bearings and seal to make it feel a little better. I am happy I did not need a set of axle stubs :D

FileHandler.ashx

Then I started to gut the 44 for the new ring and pinion. Not a hard thing to do but sort of a pain in the ass ;)
FileHandler.ashx

I 'fell' accross this when I opened the driver side hub, this fell out onto the ground. I am really not sure where I did this but I think I did it when I busted that companion flange about a month ago. I did this on 35s. This has now inspired phase #524 of the XJ build which will consist of the Dana 44/60 hybrid. I think now I will be very worried with the 37s. :dunno: (I know Richard, I know:lecture: )

FileHandler.ashx
ThumbHandler.ashx

I finally figured out what this weird popping sound was. When unweighting the rear leaf pack the leaf pack pop'd open making that weird sound. What is wrong with this picture? The other side does not have these gaps between the leaves :(
FileHandler.ashx

I packed the 8.8 to go on its destination down to its new owner in San Diego :wave:
FileHandler.ashx

And I started the brake booster upgrade. I figured with 37s I would need the ability to stop because I NEVER seemed to be able to stop on 35s.

FileHandler.ashx

Tomorrow night, I am going to try to go and redrill my new rear rotor for the new axle (different bolt pattern), and I have to pull the front axle to take it to be re-geared. I don't mind pulling it cuz I then can check all the bushings in the control arms and re-build them.

cracker said:
I finally figured out what this weird popping sound was. When unweighting the rear leaf pack the leaf pack pop'd open making that weird sound. What is wrong with this picture? The other side does not have these gaps between the leaves :(
FileHandler.ashx

Uh spring wrapping. :D

Mike R

Didn't do too much tonight. I did yank the front axle to be regeared on Thursday. 5.13 gears baby! The XJ is now sitting on 4 jack stands (and a high lift and a long arm floor jack for added security). I forgot to grab Remi's pitman arm puller (damn!)

FileHandler.ashx

I will be re-drilling the rear rotors at the machine shop tomorrow night since my neighbor was not available afterall tonight. I will also put the center consol back together, the ARB air compressor back together, and finally yank the rear leafs. I think I can fix the leafs by making a newer, bigger, stronger Frankenleaf pack. :laugh3:

Until tomorrow :wave:

Again didn't get too far today.

I sent the brake boosters out to have the shafts swapped. Organized the trucking company to get the big meats on the way here.

These showed up. (and you thought the duck and the hose was weird, these brought a tear to my eyes :laugh3: )
FileHandler.ashx

Did the rotors tonight though. They look all purdy.
FileHandler.ashx

Ummmmm. Beadlocks :D
FileHandler.ashx

Tomorrow, re-gear time!

cracker said:
These showed up. (and you thought the duck and the hose was weird, these brought a tear to my eyes :laugh3: )
FileHandler.ashx

Bring those with you when you pick up my spare leaf's.. I want to look at them, I think i'm going that route with the new setup.

-C

cal said:
Bring those with you when you pick up my spare leaf's.. I want to look at them, I think i'm going that route with the new setup.

-C

They might be installed on Friday night. We'll see :dunno:

Mike L said:
Pardon my ignorance but WTF is that?

-Mike

Well, they are ribbed, and smooth, and dishwasher safe...................

Get you mind out of the gutter!

They are progressive bump stops

Grzz701 said:
Cracker how tall are they? I need to lenghten my rear bumpstops by an inch or so.
Mark

They are 10.5" long. They sit inside the coils and supposedly can compress up to 3 inches.

I got the idea from Lincoln here on NAXJA

you can go to www.prothane.com and they are called coil inserts

Grzz701 said:
Thanks for the link. I need to lenghten the front ones too.
Mark

You'll have to come up with a plate or something on the upper bump stop because the prothane ones are hollow. FYI

Didn't get sh!t done today.

I dropped off the front axle to get re-geared and one of the bearings on the ARB fell apart. Pretty sad considering it only has about 100 miles on it. :mad:

I also picked up two individual leaves to replace my bent one(s).

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to pick up the front axle and install it tomorrow.

Nice picture of a hub back there. :)

Got spare stubs and spindles?

Back