• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

Finally wrapped up the first go at sliders. Going to beat up on these and see if any changes are needed other than the few build designs I want to change.
Now to find some new leaf packs.

af03f6d75765f09f75e0fbc390cce5bc.jpg

61380e50429636fc8292fe7e44f5a58d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks brotha. Have some small design changes I want to implement. As well as go to DOM. Need to bang em up and see how they hold mounted like this.

As long as hey don’t bang your cab they should be good. Mine were 2x2.120 with the same for the legs. I did flat or c plate on the frame like you did and A 3”x1” triangle on the top side to support and hey we’re plenty strong.

Yeah main is 2x2x3/16. Tube is 1.75-.120 legs are 2x3x3/16 and plating up top is 3.4x8x3/16. Mounts are 3/16. Think next run those will be update to 1/4. Front body mount tie in is 1/4

Rather over build than under, however some pieces like the top plate were just bacause it’s what I had on hand. Been debating if a small gusset on top of the legs at the frame mount would help with any flex in legs. A lot of options for these things are junk. And most of em are waaaay short. Everyone does 80”. I played modest at 86”.

Slightly rotated pinion housing.

Once I *hopefully* get the pinion back in place, I'll strip the axle down except for the lower link mounts, and redo it all.

So. As I'm currently starting to build my axles, do you think just welding the tubes would've been sufficient to prevent that, or not? It seems most of the force would be between the housing and the upper link mount on the tube. I'm thinking of welding the tubes and adding maybe a small tube bridge but space is pretty tight on the driver side since it's a 90 Ford King pin.

Well fun fact, this particular 1957 Willys CJ5 is actually a 12V model. Its amazing how well the starter wants to work when its actually getting full voltage. I didn't crank on it too long because I need to flush out the fuel system, but this weekend a buddy is coming over and we're going to see what we can get accomplished. If I can get it running and driving I'm going to replace the tires and try to find a soft top for it so that this ill-fitting fiberglass top can be removed.

I'm also going down to the DMV on Monday to get the title transferred over.

All that being said, if somebody has a decent CJ6 tub and title (preferably Willys but 75 or older a must) and wants to work a trade I'd be down. It'd save me a lot of work to not have to stretch the tub.

I already talked to the guy, he is going to send me more pics when he is back in town. I’m planning to get it though, toss some primer on it, and stretch this frame to mount it. Then I can sell this tub without a title and keep my 57 Willys title.

Last night I went to town on the CJ5 with my new shop vac. I literally filled a lawn waste bag with carpet remnant, rags made from various sheets, actual rags, old gloves, broken windshield brushes and scrapers, bits of random floor mat, and other misc trash. I also removed enough tire chains to outfit a small fleet of CJ5 plow vehicles. The end result is a vehicle I can now crawl around in without feeling all itchy and has a little less of that "abandoned in the back forty" feel to it.
XjfzIvv.jpg

gtmaJpJ.jpg

[
gJ7XjFd.jpg

7yMwKgG.jpg

xXYl6m9.jpg

I also set aside the more unique "treasures" I found while cleaning out the Jeep.
fj6MYDY.jpg

9fW7pZH.jpg

M1V57AT.jpg

Spent the afternoon working on the Mountain Man Express. I started off by removing the fiberglass top that was absolutely not designed for it. Then I started it up and actually drove it around the block, which is kind of tough with a gas pedal that isn’t attached to its hinge anymore btw. Once I got it into the garage I removed the still working plow and all of its controls/wiring. Then my buddy Phil came over and rebuilt the carb for me as I kept tinkering on things. I replaced the broken hood latch, removed the extra battery box, cleaned up some of the creative wiring, and replumbed the carb with actual barbed fittings and a fuel filter. I need to get a new voltage regulator and choke cable, plus fix the gas pedal at a minimum to get it driving.

ROfLLek.jpg

C4gOpoS.jpg

The XJ looking in on Great Grandpa, actually I needed a bit of juice as the old battery from the XJ wasn't happy running a non-charging Willy's.
i3IwtEL.jpg

Awesome wiring setup with a second voltage regulator for the extra battery to power the plow
OJzaoqq.jpg

NbW0UfC.jpg

Legit plow switch
dserKHj.jpg

No more plow
jAu7gJg.jpg

Meyers Model T 12V plow, still functions and has mounting for an early CJ. For Sale, buyer must pick up.
2wihd46.jpg

New hinge from Bestop, I got a pair for $8 on Amazon but only replaced the one that was broken. I just had to leave the old one on the other side, I also couldn't bring myself to use the shiny new hardware. It just wouldn't have looked right.
VhmFeIt.jpg

Rebuilt carb and a remade fuel line. The PO replaced the Solex with a Rochester B-1 from a 6cyl Chevy truck at some point. His method for adapting the fuel line to it from the pump was to just cut the hard lines and use them as fittings for the hose. I got some actual barb fittings from ACE Hardware along with some fuel safe pipe dope to do it a bit better. I also added an inline fuel filter to help catch any sludge from the tank.
4aMEHj8.jpg

And that's basically it for now. It runs really well but is a bit hard to get started as that carb is so oversized. It also smoke like a chimney, although not as bad as it did at first. I think some fresh valve seals will make a big difference with that. I'm still impressed that it got running again so easily. It hasn't been registered since 1985, so its very possible it was parked around that same time.

Last edited:
Spent the afternoon working on the Mountain Man Express. I started off by removing the fiberglass top that was absolutely not designed for it. Then I started it up and actually drove it around the block, which is kind of tough with a gas pedal that isn’t attached to its hinge anymore btw. Once I got it into the garage I removed the still working plow and all of its controls/wiring. Then my buddy Phil came over and rebuilt the carb for me as I kept tinkering on things. I replaced the broken hood latch, removed the extra battery box, cleaned up some of the creative wiring, and replumbed the carb with actual barbed fittings and a fuel filter. I need to get a new voltage regulator and choke cable, plus fix the gas pedal at a minimum to get it driving.

ROfLLek.jpg

C4gOpoS.jpg

The XJ looking in on Great Grandpa, actually I needed a bit of juice as the old battery from the XJ wasn't happy running a non-charging Willy's.
i3IwtEL.jpg

Awesome wiring setup with a second voltage regulator for the extra battery to power the plow
OJzaoqq.jpg

NbW0UfC.jpg

Legit plow switch
dserKHj.jpg

No more plow
jAu7gJg.jpg

Meyers Model T 12V plow, still functions and has mounting for an early CJ. For Sale, buyer must pick up.
2wihd46.jpg

New hinge from Bestop, I got a pair for $8 on Amazon but only replaced the one that was broken. I just had to leave the old one on the other side, I also couldn't bring myself to use the shiny new hardware. It just wouldn't have looked right.
VhmFeIt.jpg

Rebuilt carb and a remade fuel line. The PO replaced the Solex with a Rochester B-1 from a 6cyl Chevy truck at some point. His method for adapting the fuel line to it from the pump was to just cut the hard lines and use them as fittings for the hose. I got some actual barb fittings from ACE Hardware along with some fuel safe pipe dope to do it a bit better. I also added an inline fuel filter to help catch any sludge from the tank.
4aMEHj8.jpg

And that's basically it for now. It runs really well but is a bit hard to get started as that carb is so oversized. It also smoke like a chimney, although not as bad as it did at first. I think some fresh valve seals will make a big difference with that. I'm still impressed that it got running again so easily. It hasn't been registered since 1985, so its very possible it was parked around that same time.

Those pictures make me want to pressure wash things with my hot water source :laugh:

Gets things real clean real quick :D

Back