NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Advanced Fabrication and Engineering
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Advanced Fabrication and Engineering For when your build is going off the charts. Wildly modified vehicles and straight up buggies welcome.

Old August 9th, 2019, 06:28
Stranger

Re: Racing against the grain

Being a 2000 but not having dual cats suggests it is a Federal Emissions vehicle (or some such thing). IIRC that was a major part of what Cal was looking for in his Project Unicorn.

WRT running rich, I would wonder if the lack of input for the factory temp sensor is causing the computer to think the engine is cold and consequently running a rich mixture (fuel injection's version of a choke).

Baby it's cold outside.
Old August 9th, 2019, 14:27
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Being a 2000 but not having dual cats suggests it is a Federal Emissions vehicle (or some such thing). IIRC that was a major part of what Cal was looking for in his Project Unicorn.

WRT running rich, I would wonder if the lack of input for the factory temp sensor is causing the computer to think the engine is cold and consequently running a rich mixture (fuel injection's version of a choke).
The Federal Emissions thing rings a bell. I know that my Jeep was originally some sort of service vehicle. Had dark green and red stripes underneath the white paint. I remember back when I first got it seeing faded spots of numbers on the rear driver quarter panel. Perhaps some sort of forest service or other government application?

I think the run rich by default theory seems fairly realistic. The only other person that Iíve discussed this with came to the same conclusion.
231 w/ beefy stuff
Old August 15th, 2019, 19:46
NAXJA Member

Race this weekend at Windrock. Pretty much ready to roll. Load on the trailer tomorrow morning and hit the road.

Fixed my temp sensor issue. Carquest had the solution with this T-Fitting. Computer is happy and my Gauge is happy.

Also replaced the Intake Air Manifold Sensor. It was covered in black as suspected and was a move on the side of caution to replace it.

Rear driveshaft had its work done over at The Driveshaft Shop to replace the center section that got banged up and rebalanced (as if balancing matters for me but oh well).

Other minor things got done as well:
-Fixed front light pods
-Fixed front light bar
-Spliced driver PTT button that broke last race
-Torgue checked and paint marked everything.
-Tool/Recovery bags inventoried and strapped down
-Window Net buckles filed down for easier latching
-Washed! Imagine that

She sounds 10x better than before. Way quieter and idles fine. The Temp Sensor and IAT Sensor helped tremendously. Weather will be in the 90ís and completely dry this weekend. Best race weather we have had all year. Its gonna be bumper to bumper racing on this one. Gonna be a great time!
231 w/ beefy stuff
Old August 15th, 2019, 20:06
NAXJA Member

Also one of the more significant upgrades. Slapping one of the bad boys on my angry bird.

231 w/ beefy stuff
Old September 15th, 2019, 07:38
NAXJA Member

A lot has happened since my last post and havenít given an update.

Two races have passed since. The first one was at Windrock Park in Tennessee. Had a ridiculous execution for qualifying the day for before race day, that basically destroyed my chances of racing competitively that weekend. If I could post the video of my qualifying run, I would. I over-estimated my speed approach to a ďjump,Ē as it was described, and completely rocked my front right.

Things I Damaged:
-Took out the tire
-Broke the knuckle
-Ripped out the lower Balljoint
-Bent the C even more
-Bent the 7/8Ē King Bypass Shock Shaft and bent the bypass tube
-Cracked basically every other weld on the axle

However, the success was that for the foreseeable hours we somehow:
-Got a new set of Rare Parts ball joints
-New WJ knuckle
-Reamed it all out
-Welded the knuckle spacer on
-Installed new ball joints
-Welded as many cracked welds as we could find.

Started the next day and completed the race despite the haters thoughts. It was a successful failure. The real win to me was that the entire stock class helped tear my garbage apart while I was one the phone trying to organize logistics. You donít see that in racing very often. Its usually pretty cut throat in motorsports.

231 w/ beefy stuff
Old September 15th, 2019, 07:50
NAXJA Member

The next race was more fruitful but still not a top 3 finish that I was going for. This was up in Mine Made Adventure Park near Vest, Kentucky.

Its a very large ATV/UTV Park. Last year we had a very long course. This time it was cut to a 5 mile course with some great high speed sections. Very spectator friendly since most of the course was visible from the top of a cliff.

Pre Ran the course successfully. Made a few laps. But our issues start at the end of our last pre running lap. Lost 3rd and 4th gear. Just vanished and I was left with 3 neutrals. No problem, lets just race in High Range and use 1st and 2nd. Had to readjust the cable shifter to make that happen. Turns out 1st and 2nd in High Range as the ticket for this course. Way better for the top end as you could imagine and we needed it. The rutted out dry dusty course made things difficult and we did end up using low range on occasion.

What took us out this time wasnít a bad qualifying. It was actually 1/2 second behind the fastest time on qualifying. We started second on race day. I found a tree halfway though lap 2 out of 3. The top of my steering box blew up. I have never seen this before. Everything else is fine. With no power steering fluid in the system I had no choice but to retire. Still an amazing time going fast and actually racing. Just drew the short straw yet again.

231 w/ beefy stuff
Old September 15th, 2019, 07:56
NAXJA Member

Right now we are in the middle of repairing what is broken.

Transmission is out and rebuild kit has arrived. New Clutch kit also on the way.

The current report is this.
-Had little to no fluid in the Transmission (NV3550)
-Clutch was on its last thread. It was separating.
-Still no idea on 3rd and 4th gear. We are almost positive it is the Pin that connects the shift fork to slide between gears. Note that 3rd and 4th went simultaneously without any noise or obvious mechanical damage. The only other idea is a bent fork.

I will be tearing open trans this coming weekend if someone at the shop doesn’t do it for me by then. Also will hopefully split open the 231 case for inspection. I don’t anticipate any issue there, but I didn’t anticipate the last two races..so..

It came down to fix the transmission or put in the new Currie 44 axle. Next race is September 26th at Rush Offroad Park up in Kentucky.

Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
231 w/ beefy stuff
Old September 15th, 2019, 13:47
Stranger

Good to see an update.

Bummer the results aren't as you would like them.

Did you at least teach that pesky tree its lesson?

Baby it's cold outside.
Old September 15th, 2019, 17:09
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Good to see an update.

Bummer the results aren't as you would like them.

Did you at least teach that pesky tree its lesson?
I definitely eliminated a few from existence before one got to me first. Course trails were narrow.

I think with a fresh transmission and a tamed head I should do better next time lol.
231 w/ beefy stuff