• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ becomes a project

How much ya want for em? I'll put em on my 44! :)

I actually thought about mouting them and running on my 44's then reality stepped in.

Progress is cool!!! :thumbup:

I say you do the dovetail. With the roof/hatch gone back there, is should be easier since theres less to narrow. Section some of the floor out in the trunk outside the framerails and pull the sides in. Im a fan of tucked rears, either full-bodied or chopped.

Theres a few rear examples in HERE, and my personal favorite HERE.

I was going down the full body dovetail path until I saw the side of it, Maybe if it was a 2 door it would work out a little better.

all was not lost this weekend.

Got some Corbeau Baja JP's and some shiny things.

IMG_8107.jpg

14inch FOA's front a rear.

nice, I just got a pair of 14" FOA's (2.0" tho, not 2.5") w/o res's to put in the front of mine... will be ordering res kits in the future.
looking good so far.

I found a hatch to start the tail gate, cut it down and have it fitting pretty well, I still need to find a way to cap off the top of the gate and the sides. I am thinking about using a truck bed liner top and sides, if not I may just use some light gauge still and shape it to fit. Having a bead roller and sheet metal break would come in handy about now.

IMG_8143.jpg

IMG_8142.jpg

IMG_8145.jpg

IMG_8144.jpg

I also started to fit the seats, got the passenger side working with the stock brackets and some additional steel, I think I am just going to fab some different mounts from tube. I also wanted to check to see if I had room to put rear buckets in, looks like they will and I should have room to build a rear center console.

IMG_8146.jpg

IMG_8147.jpg

Next I need to clean up some wiring and start to weld up the pieces I have so far then design the cage.

When you figure out how you're going to mount those seats in the back I'm sure Loki would be interested. He bought 4 seats and ended up selling 2 of them cause they wouldn't fit.

Tailgate looks good!

The work week didn’t happen, I ended up getting very sick, I did get some work done this week.

Welded the hatch in… The first time welding with a MIG and it looks like it, it’s in solid it will just take a lot more grinding and prep work for paint.
IMG_9193.jpg

Next up was raising the fuel tank, I dropped the tank and cut the floor.
IMG_9190.jpg

I had a Skid Tank I made and was using the skid was mounted to the bottom of the sub frame, the plan is to drop the skid in from the top and use it to support the tank using straps on the top. I had to cut some relief cuts as the sub frame narrow as you move forward, the cuts will allow the sides of the side to bend in slightly.. once in I will weld it to the sub frame
IMG_9194.jpg

IMG_9195.jpg

I am going to keep the stock fill location even though a full tank could leak back out the vent and cap. I Still have to weld it all in and strap it down.
IMG_9196.jpg

The skid was raised about 6 inches in total. Clearance for the 14 bolt and 4 link.
IMG_9197.jpg

Did you cut up that skid? My skid is 35" wide at the top and my frame rails are 34" apart.

Sorry about the HUGE pics. let me try this again since I am not able to edit.

Try these ones
RX9LpWmh.jpg

LtEgqrLh.jpg

Gj3YB4lh.jpg

wCg0fH1h.jpg

mTd4Ia6h.jpg

phtdhOUh.jpg

dQloHb7h.jpg

VBcPcRJh.jpg

Nice! You need to come to Harlan this summer! Fixed the huge pictures since you posted them over..... :cheers:

Man I wish this was still going. I’m needing a lot of info and photos on swapping in tons.

I know this is a ten year old thread, but this guy built a Jeep Gladiator 10 years before Jeep did....

I know this is a ten year old thread, but this guy built a Jeep Gladiator 10 years before Jeep did....

Not exactly, I owned a '66 Gladiator way back when! I started a '95 2dr Cheromanche I think they look/function better.
FH000012_zpszbj2carj.jpg

So where does the Cheromanche project now stand?

Given the rest of your work, I want to see the completed product.

That pic is from '05 and I got most of the hard work done (axles,OR241,winch bumper,roll bar,etc)when I had my stroke. It was sold shortly there-after knowing I was going to need money and that I wouldn't be able to complete it. I still have some pics but the original thread doesn't show them because I changed host's. https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41668

Back