• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My bumper build: Re-sizing a 1971 ford F100 bumper for an MJ

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
I know this will be irrelevant to most here, as it is going on an MJ and not an XJ, but oh well. Anyway, this is my first build.

Well, I decided that I didn't like my old flimsy stock bumper, and I had an old bumper from a hot rod project. I got a welder for Christmas and I was bored, so things clicked. Heres my build.

Heres the bumper. Outside width is 74'' wide, about 10'' wider than the stock MJ bumper. Most of that was the extra metal. The bumper brackets needed to be cut out and replaced. I needed to cut down the bumper a total of 5'' (2.5'' each side) to make it fit. It is made out of 1/8’’ and 3/8’’ plate steel. THIS WILL NOT BE A LOAD BEARING BUMPER. That is what ii have a trailer hitch for. Nothing will ever be connected to it.

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0071.jpg

Pictures of brackets

DSCF0068.jpg

DSCF0069-1.jpg

Test fits

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0073.jpg

DSCF0074.jpg

DSCF0075.jpg

DSCF0076.jpg

DSCF0077.jpg

Start to cut. I didn’t think about where I was cutting so I cut a little further in than I wanted. I guess I should have measured. Oh well.

Heres one side cut.

IMGP3211.jpg

I didn’t take pictures of the other side cut. I took 2.5 inches out of each side.

IMGP3212.jpg

One side tacked back on.

IMGP3213.jpg

IMGP3214.jpg

IMGP3215.jpg

This shows how far the bumper sits below the bed.

IMGP3216.jpg

IMGP3217.jpg

IMGP3218.jpg

This shows the side where it will be bolted to the bed. I will use a rubber bushing on each side of the bed and a washer between it and the nut on the inside of the bed.

IMGP3219.jpg

Other side tacked on.

IMGP3220.jpg

IMGP3221.jpg

I have a little bit of a gap in between where I cut. My sawzall skills are lacking. I’m using the metal that I cut out of the bumper for form “straps” over the gaps, then welding that on the outside and inside.

IMGP3222.jpg

IMGP3223.jpg

That’s my rear bumper build, Hope ya’ll liked reading it.

I also cut my friont bumper at an angle like just about everyone else. Heres pics.

DSCF0063.jpg

DSCF0064.jpg

Well... I like the welder?

Wouldnt have been my first choice for a rear bumper, but kudos to you for doing it all yourself and finishing what you started.

~James

Well... I like the welder?

Wouldnt have been my first choice for a rear bumper, but kudos to you for doing it all yourself and finishing what you started.

~James

My thoughts exactly. You at least took the initiative.

Well as promised, here are some painted pics. I decided to get rid of the metal piece that stock up infront of the tailgate. Somethings gonna go there eventually.
DSCF0095.jpg
DSCF0096.jpg

It really doesn't stick out THAT far.
DSCF0097.jpg

I made it so that the sides that wrap around stick out about even with the stock flares.
DSCF0099.jpg

It hangs down about an inch or less below the body. I tried to tuck it up as far as I could.
DSCF0098.jpg

Back