• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Was my AC Coil replaced

Dented

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ

I had my Jeep in to have the AC coil replaced. After it was working, but it began to warm. My condenser sprung a leak so after a year I replaced it and the accumulator. I had a garage charge it. It worked for a bit and then warmed. I wanted the replace the line with the Orifice in it and found the system empty. This time I charged it myself and it worked again for a bit. I'm beginning to wonder if my AC coil was ever replaced.

For other work I have much of the dash out. Without completed removing everything what are the tell tale signs it was replaced? Are there any or do I need to completely open everything and look to see if the box was separated?

Thank you

There is not much of a chance that it would be obvious.

I believe there is unfortunately no way to tell without tearing the dash apart, I tore mine apart just before winter cause my heater core sprung a leak, I examined the a/c coil as well and noticed that there was a thin sheet of black foam covering one of the sides and I am certain that it is stock, so if you tear open the heater box and that foam isn't on it, it's likely that it was replaced.

I think there is a piece of foam glued over both halves of the Box. If it is not cut they the heater core and AC coil should be stock. I'm sure I will be able to tell if they are old or new.

I'll post pics if necessary

Ok I have it open. Both the heater core and AC evaporator coil look brand new. The foam was not cut so I'm a little perplexed. What do these things look like if you never had a problem?

Post some pictures — gotta see what you have going on — the foam must be cut to open the heater box — a really great shop could have replaced the foam after install but doubtful

I See you are in Jersey, what zip code? Maybe you are close enough to come take a look

I did replace my heater core and ac in my 2000 just a year ago —

What is the heater core made of? Is it all aluminum or is it copper/ brass

Copper/ brass is stock and harder to get as a replacement Ac evaporator is much harder to tell if it’s stock or a replacement

The hoses may also leak.

Why not pump,it down and do a stand test i.e. a leak up rate test? that should be done every time the system is recharged. if leak free, best bet is to pump it down over night before adding new refrigerant.

Evidently there is a leak, now you need to find out where the leak is.

Back