• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blew out upper radiator hose - HEMI

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
As the title suggests, I blew out the upper hose on the interstate today. From the time my lights started to flash indicating an issue to the point where I could safely pull over on the shoulder was a half to three quarter of a mile.

The truck made no real bad engine sounds before i shut it off. It was an hour an a half that it was turned off waiting for the wrecker and the subsequent return to my house. I had the wrecker drop off in front of my house with the intention of driving it the 30 yards up the drive and into the garage. When it came off the rollback and I went to start it, the engine made all sorts of ugly sounds.

So, questions are:

1. What changed in the 90 minutes that it was shut off, other than it had a chance to cool and all the remaining coolant had a chance to settle. Would that be enough to cause noises on restart?

2. After I get the new hose on and fill the radiator, I'm a little nervous to start it up and let the coolant circulate. What is the appropriate procedure for all that upon replacing the new hose?

If you just refilled the radiator, you will most likely get quite a rattling noise as the trapped air gets purged from the system. It may take a few starts to get it to go away. That isn't saying you could have toasted something, but just give it a bit of time before pulling the plug.

You might want to look over all the posts on burping the cooling system.

Thanks. Sending it off to the shop. See my other post with the video if you are interested.

Think I may have an oil delivery issue.

Back