• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calling on XJ Freedom owners:(anyone out there?)

zluster

NAXJA Forum User
You know who you are.

Recently I had a flip Jeep that was a Freedom, my DD XJ is also a freedom, prior to this I've had 2 other Freedom XJs. (I've now owned every color they were offered in, Red, Silver, Yellow and white)

Anyways I noticed that with this one, my DD and my last one they were all produced in the same month, and this most recent freedom and my DD were actually produced in the same week.

I'm wondering if all the Freedom XJ's were made in a single production run, in one week.

So what I asking, it that the Freedom XJ owners out there PM me with some info, I'm looking for the serial number(last 6 digits of vin), the MDH (thats the month, day, and hour the XJ was produced). As well as a couple of bits of info about your jeep(at least when it was stock):

Rear axle:
Transfer case:
Cruise?
Factory window tint?

My first freedom had the d35, but all the others had the 8.25.

Every freedom I've found has had the 242(though apparently there are 2wd freedoms out there).

My first two freedoms had cruise control, the second two did not(though I added it to both).

I don't think I've ever seen a freedom with factory tint, curious if anyone has it.

The information you send to me will be compiled into a spreadsheet and shared with the XJ geeks out there who car to look at it. I don't know what I would do with the serial number for your Jeep or the MDH, but I wont share it with anyone.

So please, PM me or email me!

My Freedom was built in 2/00.No tint,NP231,cruise,power everything(except seats),basic audio.

Not here, but as far as D35 vs 8.25. D35 was in the ABS equipped XJs

Not here, but as far as D35 vs 8.25. D35 was in the ABS equipped XJs

Non ABS XJ's also got the D35. I've never come across a freedom with ABS, but I have come across them with the D35.

Hence my interest in trying to track production dates with the MDH and serial, and what options they had.

I never even knew a Freedom edition existed... the only wacky edition I've seen was the "Special Edition" 96 I saw at the junkyard a while ago, wearing gheywinkle paint.

I never even knew a Freedom edition existed... the only wacky edition I've seen was the "Special Edition" 96 I saw at the junkyard a while ago, wearing gheywinkle paint.

Do you know about the 60th AE 2001 XJs?

Freedom XJ:
yellow34.jpg

Freedom XJ:
yellow34.jpg
Yup, and the Street Comanches, and the Orvis editions, and the Olympic editions... had just never seen a Special Edition before, or even heard of one. Most times when I mention a Special Edition XJ people ask if I mean an SE XJ. I couldn't even find any pages discussing it via google when I last checked; it stuck out at the junkyard because I'd never seen a gheywinkle painted XJ so I inspected it more carefully. Noticed the Special Edition stickers on the quarter panels, but couldn't find anything very special about how it was optioned.

I have not yet seen a Freedom in person; I think they're extremely uncommon in the MW. Did any of them have the side molding, or were they all "clean" from the factory?

I have not yet seen a Freedom in person; I think they're extremely uncommon in the MW. Did any of them have the side molding, or were they all "clean" from the factory?

The missing side moldings along with the chromed grill / headlight trim were part of the Freedom package distinguishing features....

There are a few of us running the 60th Anniversary XJ's here. Last spring, 3 of us in Middle Tennessee had them. They only made about 6000 world wide. Around 2600 and change in silver and about 2300 and change in black.

The Freedom is basically a Sport with the "SE appearance package" (not to be confused with an SE with some upgrades, if you run the vin, and according to your insurance it will be a sport).

All the freedoms got the 16" Silverstar wheels, chrome grills, and the SE appearance package of no side trim, Textured fender flares(instead of painted body color) textured end caps, and black bumpers(instead of painted body color).

All of the Freedoms I have seen in person had the 242, and all but my first freedom had the 8.25 rear. My purpose here is to try and narrow down the date range for production, and how they were optioned when produced. Apparently some Freedoms came with the 231 as per the poster above. The freedom package seemed to have been produced to burn off excess inventory, such as the silverstar wheels, textured flares, chrome grills, and the factory CD/tape player. Otherwise they were basically just sports with all the usual sport stuff.

I once saw production numbers that put the freedoms at 2200 produced.

For anyone that comes onto this thread and is ready to PM, post, or email me some info here is where you can find the breakdown on the door tag:
whitetag.jpg

Is that your door tag? Funny it lists the tires and rims at 15" specs if all the Freedoms came with 16" Siverstars.

Is that your door tag? Funny it lists the tires and rims at 15" specs if all the Freedoms came with 16" Siverstars.

Yes thats mine, well one of mine. (dont worry if you send me any VIN info I will keep it private)

I managed to find one other door tag at an auction website. That makes three I have now(really wish I has taken a pic of my other door tags when I had my previous freedoms now, might be able to find one pic and blow it up and see, but its doubtful that will work(need to see if I still have the original pic somewhere).

All 3 of the tags I have seen list the tires as 15", funny how that works huh?

Right now with the 4 data points for production of the Freedoms I have two in March, one in Feb, and one in Jan of 2000.

I went and pulled up door tags for the 60th AE XJs, look like most of the 60ths were produced in march of 01, with a few being made in jan of 01.

So it seems like production of the 60th and the freedoms was spread out, and probably produced alongside other XJs. So much for the theory that they were produced in one long production run.

My Anniversary Edition shows a manufacture date of APRIL 2001.

It also lists 15 x 7 rims, even though it came with 16".

Back