• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Now that I'm looking to buy a set of forged driveshaft slip yokes it appears Yukon isn't selling them now. The stick 1310 isn't forged like a 1350 . The yukons were extra beefy . I've not snapped a 1310 u joint buy the ears on the 1310 yokes are the failure point ... I'm on the fence with staying with double cardan shaft of just going 1410 single cardan since I don't drive street...I know thec1410 stuff won't be a weak link;-)

One consideration might be what becomes the weak link then there after? As far as trail repairs having an extra yoke is a pretty easy fix... easier then an axle shaft even.

Would rather take out a yoke over say the transfer case or something vital like that right?

Or is that logic flawed?

Last edited:

Great quality shock that didn't break the bank (in my opinion). I ran several sets across multiple rigs and they never let me down. I think the original set is still on my '99, 15 years later. I am sure they are due for replacement but as far as I know from the current owner they are still operational/no leaks.

Can’t argue that... I guess ai should specify, why 1525s over 1500 or 1550?

2p16
One consideration might be what becomes the weak link then there after? As far as trail repairs having an extra yoke is a pretty easy fix... easier then an axle shaft even.

Would rather take out a yoke over say the transfer case or something vital like that right?

Or is that logic flawed?

The logic is flawed because you're thinking of a 1310 drive shaft set up in an XJ using parts far below the strength of what's in my "XJ" ... a high pinion 60 running 300m rcv shafts is not the weak link with a forged 1310 yoke and neither would be the 32 spline front out put on the Atlas... my Xj has only the 4.0 and aw4 left of the stock running gear it's like comparing an Abrams tank to a fiat500

20190908_172242.jpg

20190722_123246.jpg

20190908_172117.jpg

Last edited:

I know you have a gnarly beast of a rig... I was just saying, if the "weak" link is the 1310 yoke might be a good idea to keep it there... Instead of the weakest link being a much more catastrophic failure point, like the AW4

I know you have a gnarly beast of a rig... I was just saying, if the "weak" link is the 1310 yoke might be a good idea to keep it there... Instead of the weakest link being a much more catastrophic failure point, like the AW4

Eh, if you can afford the big boy parts why build in a fuse or weak link. Over build everything and less chance of breaking parts. Pretty unlikely you're going to break the aw4 with 4.0 powering it. 1410s would be the way to go For the really big stuff.

Fuses in the drive train are usually not the way to go. Failed drive shafts take out things pretty easy when they swing around also if you fail an obstacle due to losing a shaft you may find yourself in a bad way quick . I just have these 1310s because I got behind on things I should already have built better shafts and relocated the radiator to the back. 1310s are fine for most of the time but when you have climb something you can't crawl they are questionable and you need faith in your drive train when it's needed to work at an extreme...1310s... don't get my faith .

Fair nuff

I need to get around to fixing my broken shift handle I've been shifting without a handle just pushing on the what's left of the spring loaded plunger that the t handle is supposed to fit on but it busted... I have a shift controller for the aw4 that I got from Troy awhile ago but haven't put in ... I am thinking since the handle is broken I may buy one of the Redesigns replacement shifters with the rock shift gate option ... Is there any reason to avoid this shifter besides the $490 price tag ?

Camping at Chinaman tonight, anyone going to be out here tomorrow?
Have fun! Many trails in Gilpin County are not accessible:

Gilpin County Sheriff said:
GILPIN COUNTY ROAD CLOSURE UPDATE
Amended #Gilpintravelrestrictions on Apex Valley, Bald Mountain Lane, Columbine Campground Road, Missouri Gulch and Tolland Road in effect 05/21/20 thru 05/29/20. Visit http://gilpincounty.org for details.

Eh, if you can afford the big boy parts why build in a fuse or weak link. Over build everything and less chance of breaking parts. Pretty unlikely you're going to break the aw4 with 4.0 powering it. 1410s would be the way to go For the really big stuff.

^^^Correct.

Building a "fuse" into a setup is a mistaken thought process intentionally making something weak.

Play in the gnarly stuff, and you don't play the weak link game (much).

My doubler or gears are likely to be the weak link...but I'd have to work at it for those to go boom.

I'm waiting on an 800 psi check gauge with no loss chuck to arrive but I'm off again two days before planned so it won't be here when I'm off and I want to easily be able to check for pressure loss on my struts without having to hook up my regulator and tank ... Is there any local places that sell this stuff ?

Well I knew the usual areas of cities would be out rioting over Geroge Floyd, but all the rich white college kids out around the capital building is an added surprise. The right to assemble is different than the right to RIOT these folks are the result of liberal teachings in colleges. .

I watched the George Floyd video and while it was a tragedy being killed for passing off fake twenties It certainly did not appear to be racially motivated just a few bad cops who went way to far , which the guy on the ground could be any color with that group he just happened to be Black, but that doesn't make a a racist event.

These groups of rioting white college kids act like a few bad cops make up 99% of all law enforcement , and what really kicks my ass is all these "protesters " who dislike law enforcement so much are the first to call the cops in a dispute.

I've considered colleges as a collective schooling of minds. I don't think I'de ever say the teachings have a liberal nor conservative projection, but a blend of both, as Im sure the riot populous was comprised of. Poor decisions were made all around unfortunately, and some odd ones lol.

Ignorance toward law enforcement, if 99% of cops were bent we would all have some hell to pay. I guess there are always some folks that get into these positions and rather than act through logic and training, some act through charged emotions. Like many things, only the negative side gets the hype(FTP) is born. I bet those folks would have a different point of view if we highlighted the contributions of our service members vs all these controversial occurrences. btw "white college kids?" probably the last description ide use for the populous seen, just saying haha.

All in all video seems a dang shame for what happened, Ide only heard of it today.

Is anyone here an officer? I'm simply curious of the training they give for such situations and as a result of so many of these situations becoming frequent on the news. Have any new training programs arisen to combat the way some officers react ( as to not make costly hasty decisions for themselves or other party)?

There is a video of a bystander, it shows another cop guarding the crowd as up to three of his colleagues kneel on the guy. His face gives a big " oh shit" look, like it just got ugly (like it went too far)... Im betting the majority of those guys weren't looking to have the day turn out as it did.

maybe we'll get better someday

When's the last time you were in/on/around a campus?
Yeah, "political correctness" was the newspeak when I was taking classes. I took political science for the social studies credit. It was taught by a 25 year old PHD from Berkeley. She did very much have, and profess, a political bias.

Back