• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 2wd tailshaft

beastlydumass

NAXJA Forum User
my 95 aw4 2wd trans tailshaft is laking out of the sy and ive been told its ez to replace that seal. ive seen some that u can just tap in and some that u have to pull the tail. if u know anything about this or had the same thing help wud be greatful.?

I had to do that on the 2wd tail cone on mine a while back. To replace that seal you have to remove the tail cone from the tranny. It's pretty straight forward after that you tap the old one out and the new one in.

Its not necessary to pull the tailcone. Ive done it witht he tailcone still on the trans. If you decide to leave the tailcone on you need a socket big nough to tap in the new seal evenly.

X-2 - no need to pull the tail cone, it's an external mount seal. With the drive shaft out, the output shaft sticks out past the end of the tail cone, and you can't use a mallet or wood block to drive the new seal in. A socket as big as the seal easily slips over the output shaft. You can also bore a hole in a wood block big enough to fit over the output shaft, and drive the seal in with that.

'Bit of a PITA, but easy enough to do. Good luck.

As you may surmise, there's no need to pull the tail housing if you are changing the seal only. You will want to remove the splash shield if it's there (it's the round thin metal
cylinder on the end of the tail housing) - by tapping it off with a hardwood dowel and
hammer. This will give you easier access to the seal. Just hook the seal with a big screwdriver and lever it out.

Before doing all that, however - grab the drive shaft and wriggle it. It there's a lot of play (say, 3/32" - 1/8"), then you should consider changing the tail housing bushing.
That requires removing the tail housing.

Any one have a good source for the AW4, 2WD tail cone bushing and seal for an 89? Part numbers? Source?

Back