• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Source for Replacement AW4 Transmission Solenoids

deepcreek

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 2WD that just turned 100,000 miles last week. The very next day it stopped wanting to shift from 1st to 2nd and the check engine light came on.

I checked the codes and got P0700 and P0733. I have read a lot of threads about testing and it looks like Solenoid #2 (A) is bad.

Here's where I get confused - Solenoid prices are all over the board. I usually prescribe to the mantra that you get what you pay for but I'm not sure if that's the case here.

Some folks recommend the eBay solenoids, others recommend salvage yard solenoids, and a few say anything but OEM is crap.

I am also seeing ad's that state "this is the updated design and half the size of the tan ones they are replacing." Honestly, that makes me a bit nervous.

I've seen online reviews of the cheap kits complain that the brackets are backwards or the bolt holes are too small or they stop working after 1,000 miles. Others seem to love them.

All the contrary information is making my head spin.

Any recommendations or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

This is my 80 year old mother's car that my Dad gave her for Christmas back in 1997. She loves it and I want to keep it rolling for her.

Thanks for your help!

Joe

Sounds more the you have clutches slipping.

Several folks here, including myself, have purchased them off Amazon with no issues. The all look like the same manufacturer, just sold by different vendors.

You've tested the resistance of the solenoid #2/B (not A)? Checked the wiring to the trans, and cleaned the two connectors on the passenger firewall under the hood for the harness that goes to the NSS sensor and the drivers side of the trans? Check the easy things too, like the throttle body to trans cable for proper adjustment.

I believe the 0733 code is generated when the trans computer thinks it's in the wrong gear by comparing the front speed sensor versus the output shaft speed. It can also be caused if one of the speed sensors is failing or the wiring is damaged. The failing to upshift out of first can be caused by a bad output speed sensor and the computer doesn't think you're moving. Side note, the front speed sensor normally does not output a signal in 4th gear.

Correction -

The codes were P0700 and P0753.

(I could not figure out how to edit my original post on this forum.)

Gotcha. The P0753 is the #1/A solenoid, which is on for first and second gear. The #2/B is on for 2nd and 3rd. Both are off in 4th gear. Same advice, check the wiring and test the resistance at the trans computer connector. The solenoids should be 11-15 ohms, but can still show the correct resistance and fail once it gets warm. I'd guess the solenoid it probably failing though.

The set of three solenoids is around $60 on Amazon from various vendors. #1 and #2 are identical, and the #3 (t/c lockup) is different. They may look slightly different but will should work. I think it was the older AW4 that had physically larger solenoids, but the new slightly smaller ones fit and work just fine. I had one set that required a very slight trimming of the platic electrical connector to fit properly.

The absolute best solenoids will be new Toyota OEM parts, but they will be super expensive

Second best is to get some used OEM from a junkyard

I had a few aftermarket fail. They are pretty unreliable

In all honesty, all three are scary options. If I had the money, I'd go OEM but I don't.

The latter XJ trans (00-01) had aqua blue ones. They are suppose to better than the tan/brown ones. I did put in a set of the cheap ones. I bought them off of ebay from a dealer in NJ, as I remember. I ran that XJ for maybe 6 months. They were working when I sold it.

Back