• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nasal buzz with RPMs, 97 XJ

illidurit

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 XJ Country (4x4 auto) developed a buzzy frontend sound about a week ago.

When it happens:
-When I press the gas pedal
-In drive or in park
-Even in neutral
-Hot or cold

Sound quality:
-Buzzy and nasal and sorta whiny
-Within the register of a typical man's voice (I can kinda plug my nose and make a nyeeeehhhhhh sound and it's pretty close)
-The pitch of the sound tracks the RPMs exactly, including rising with acceleration, falling with deceleration, and jumping with shifts

Where:
-It's coming from the engine bay
-Seems like it's near the block

So what's going on??

Just to clarify, can you hear it when it is just idling? If so, it could be your power steering pump, I've seen where they start whining if moisture gets inside them. I tried to comprehend the sound your explaining and that's what I think of. Another thing it could be, but probably isn't, is your alternator, sometimes when they get wet they can make some horrific sounds, but that goes away after 10-15 seconds.

Remove the serpentine belt and see if that eliminates the noise. If so, check everything the belt spins for roughness.
The suggested mechanic's stethoscope is the right tool for finding failing bearings and other internal parts going bad..
It does sound like a power steering pump.

Back