• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slip yoke eliminators and long arm conversion

Jeepmedic46

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I stopped in at a shop the other day to find out how much slip yoke eliminators and changing my rough country to a long arm. The shop said both were very expensive to do. Unfortunately I’ve had back surgery and am not able to crawl under the Jeep so I have to have things done which is killing me. I want to learn how to do all this stuff. My question is the shop correct in saying they are expensive to do?

The SYE itself is relatively cheap at $250+ but there is quite a bit of labor. As far as long arms go they start at about $1000 and go way up from there and then there is the labor.

When you say change to long arms, do you intend to do anything else?

I would guess they try to get you for 1000$ to do both, but ive no idea what labor in mas is like.

unfortunately neither process is that labor intense i.m.o. so pending the shop, if they try to gouge you with the quote, its not for their time (if theyre well versed at such tasks)

If I were you Ide ask on my local chapter and craigslist to see if anyone can do the work. itll be far far cheaper likely.

Lots of awesome knowledgeable and helpful folks here.

When you say change to long arms, do you intend to do anything else?

I would guess they try to get you for 1000$ to do both, but ive no idea what labor in mas is like.

unfortunately neither process is that labor intense i.m.o. so pending the shop, if they try to gouge you with the quote, its not for their time (if theyre well versed at such tasks)

If I were you Ide ask on my local chapter and craigslist to see if anyone can do the work. itll be far far cheaper likely.

Lots of awesome knowledgeable and helpful folks here.

Is there anything else I should do. The Jeep has the short arm lift. I’m new to all this and I appreciate everyone’s patience with my stupid question. I ‘ll ask on my local chapter. I never thought about that. Thank you

When you say Sip Yoke Eliminator (SYE), did you look at a Hack-n-Tap? Its basically a SYE. You have a 97-01 so a Hack-N-Tap would work. Look at Iron Rock Off Road. Basically, shorten the TC out put shaft. Drill and tap the shaft. Install yoke. Depending on axle, a 4.5" lift will allow the use of a front drive shaft to be used as the rear drive shaft. There are places to get custom length drive shafts. IRO offer this. Yes, I have done this.

Is there anything else I should do. The Jeep has the short arm lift. I’m new to all this and I appreciate everyone’s patience with my stupid question. I ‘ll ask on my local chapter. I never thought about that. Thank you

im not sure im with you, is there anything else you should do depends on what all is on your vehicle and what all you want to do with it. long arms flex A Lot. If your wanting this you may need bump stops, or extended brake lines, or trimming, or a double shear track bar.

Theres nothing wrong with short arms if you dont mind them, they function fine until you lift the vehicle too high. your questions not stupid, we are all always learning. I hope I didnt make it sound like you shouldve asked your local chapter, it was just a suggestion to help you keep the wallet padded.:cheers:

Back