• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear brake line for 8.8

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
Ok guys,

Im swapping my RE 4.5" to a diff xj (last 1 was in a totaled)

It seems that my rear brake line will not come off without twisting the hard line in half...so........

Im installing a 8.8 with the m.o.r.e. kit

and im wondering what brake line to use for my 8.8 ???

I don’t want to pay out my ass for a nice 1 from RE again so...what are my options?

I know of the 95 YJ, or 92-96 dakota (which i was told is reallly long)

but i want to here what you other guys suggest

Thanks guys,
Chris

Re: Rear brake like for 8.8

I'm running the dakota on 5" of lift and I have plenty to go if I ever decide to go bigger.

I just put on an 8.8 and had to add a brake line too. I just went to Napa and got a rubber brake line with a male and female fitting (just like an extension). Searched everywhere in the catalogs to find one of these and couldn't (all had the banjo bolt on one end). It cost $24.00 and is about 20" long. It fit just right between the 8.8 and the hard line on the frame and should provide more than enough down travel with my 6.25 rear. Good luck.

Mount the brake hose coming down from the unibody in the CENTER of the 8.8 rear end, directly above the pumpkin. This doesn't move a lot, and it doesn't need to be extra long if the hose is in the center.

Then for the hard lines going from the splitter out to the calipers, you'll need a 20" hard line for each side.

Use the stock OEM Explorer hoses that run to the caliper.
Don't LOOSE THE BANJO CALIPER BOLTS!! They're an oddball size and hard as hell to find.

barillms said:
Mount the brake hose coming down from the unibody in the CENTER of the 8.8 rear end, directly above the pumpkin. This doesn't move a lot, and it doesn't need to be extra long if the hose is in the center.

Then for the hard lines going from the splitter out to the calipers, you'll need a 20" hard line for each side.

Use the stock OEM Explorer hoses that run to the caliper.
Don't LOOSE THE BANJO CALIPER BOLTS!! They're an oddball size and hard as hell to find.

Yep. I went to a custom brake shop in Indy that had different lengths of braided steel line extentions, reused the T and bent up new hard lines to the calipers.

x2 on the banjo bolts, I bought my 8.8 new on eBay and I had a hell of a time finding them. Ended up being a dealer part in my area.

I found a bolt that fit and had a machinist make em banjo for me. They did it for free because it was such a small job.

Sooooo......did most of you guy go with the dakota brake line

or did you go with something else?

Do you guys have the part #'s?

I had to order a new rear RE line recently. I think I paid $29 for the RE 24" TJ steel braided line, shipped. Is it worth going to a lesser rubber line and all the research time to save 10 bucks?

The Ford Explorer stock brake line works really well for me at 6.5" of lift. It incorporates the left side caliper line and the only connection is to the hardline coming from the right caliper. It's very easy. Just position a bolt to the axle, weld it on and position the junction anywhere you want.

bh380376-1.jpg

cal said:
I had to order a new rear RE line recently. I think I paid $29 for the RE 24" TJ steel braided line, shipped. Is it worth going to a lesser rubber line and all the research time to save 10 bucks?

No its not worth it, but i need to get the heap on the road after this weekend, and i cant wait for the shipment from RE.

Plus i could have sworn that they cost more than that from RE.
Yes im a dumb ass for not looking again on there web site

C85D4x4 said:
No its not worth it, but i need to get the heap on the road after this weekend, and i cant wait for the shipment from RE.

Plus i could have sworn that they cost more than that from RE.
Yes im a dumb ass for not looking again on there web site

Get a better vender, don't pay retail prices.

Brake lines are always in stock, most vendors can get one drop shipped to you today. Try and call some of the naxja sponsers that sell RE.. FullsizeXJ, Rawbrown, Loose-nuts-enterprises, etc. Ask what the cost will be and see if you can get it drop shipped today - I'm sure one of them can do it for you.

cal said:
Get a better vender, don't pay retail prices.

Brake lines are always in stock, most vendors can get one drop shipped to you today. Try and call some of the naxja sponsers that sell RE.. FullsizeXJ, Rawbrown, Loose-nuts-enterprises, etc. Ask what the cost will be and see if you can get it drop shipped today - I'm sure one of them can do it for you.

Awsome...Thanks alot

mine has a dakota line in the back of the MJ.
and a passenger soft line on the drivers side.
Hooks up just like the D35 did.

Back