• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5 to 5.5 - rear brake line?

XJack

NAXJA Forum User
Subject says it all - RE appears to be selling the same rear steel brake line with their 3.5, 4.5, and 5.5 kits.

I can slap an extension in or get a custom line made, but would like to have my ducks in line before I install the springs.

I'm going from the 3.5 to 5.5 - anyone done this and run into trouble with the rear line being too short?

edit: I'm running the RE stainless line that comes with the 3.5

Last edited:
hey i went from the 3 inch rustys to the 4.5-5 rustys. had stock rubbers on w/ the 4.5 but they where severly stretched...bought the extended stainless lines and have no problems now. HTH

Save yourself some money and buy the rear brake line from a YJ. I have a '95 which I replaced with the same year YJ for less than $20 and it was about 3 1/2" to 4" longer than stock.

bubbajeeper said:
Save yourself some money and buy the rear brake line from a YJ. I have a '95 which I replaced with the same year YJ for less than $20 and it was about 3 1/2" to 4" longer than stock.

or a dakota. Same difference.

XJack said:
edit: I'm running the RE stainless line that comes with the 3.5

You should be fine running that line with the 5.5. I also went from 3.5, then to 4.5, and now to 5.5 all with the same line. I have been running it for over 8 months now with no problems with a bunch of wheeling. Looking back, if I had it to do over again I would have went with the longer YJ one to start out with because I plan on going higher than 5.5 now.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the input everyone - jshwank, I've done the exact same thing, started @ 3.5, went to a shackle and spacer for the 4.5.

I was recently able to find ZJ coils and 4.5" leaves real cheap, so that's it. No plans on going any bigger than 5.5-6,

my line was a little short with the drivers side drooped and the pass side stuffed. I ended up going with a longer stailess line, about 22" i know it was 2" longer than the YJ line

jshwank said:
That's what I said too!!!

Nope, it's set in stone for me - I'm not tall enough to climb around it if it gets any bigger!

:laugh3:

LouisianaZJ said:
my line was a little short with the drivers side drooped and the pass side stuffed. I ended up going with a longer stailess line, about 22" i know it was 2" longer than the YJ line

Thanks, I'll make up a 4" extension jic I have to get a new line afterwards.

Back