• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need input

jeff411sk8

NAXJA Forum User
well today i was out wheeling and ended up blowing out my rear diff. The spider gears are gone! infact it kicked two teeth into the diff. cover and put a small hole in it. Drove it out in 2wd and tow'd it home. Now my quetion is... should i 1) repalce the spider gears and leave it. 2) put in a lunch box locker 3) OX locker b/c it has the new cover anyways 4) upgrade to a D44. Right now its a 8.25. Let me know what you think. Yes money is an issue.

where in OC would be a good place to shop? besides 4wheelparts.

As usual......we need more info.:cool:
What size tires you running...
what kinda' wheelin do you prefer....
how much money do you want to spend?

I know when I built up a 44 for the rear of my Jeep, I sold a perfectly stout 8.25 for $700. Detroit locked with 4:56 R&P, axels, fresh brakes...etc.
I have seen a few for around that price here.
If you can't afford that kind of dough...
I have a perfectly good 8.25 sitting in my garage that needs a new home.
Make a offer...:D
Rick

Need Input...

#5?

well im running 31s right now. I like to do all kinds of off-roading. I loved doing Jonh Bull and i love High Desert round up. I can spend up to 800 but would like to keep it as low as posible. My brother works for Ford so i might score a ford 8.8 out of an explore. Good thing about that is ill have the rear disc brakes i want. But no locker.

I might consider that 8.25 you have. We will see.

anybody eles been in this boat too?

jeff411sk8 said:
well today i was out wheeling and ended up blowing out my rear diff. The spider gears are gone! infact it kicked two teeth into the diff. cover and put a small hole in it. Drove it out in 2wd and tow'd it home. Now my quetion is... should i 1) repalce the spider gears and leave it. 2) put in a lunch box locker 3) OX locker b/c it has the new cover anyways 4) upgrade to a D44. Right now its a 8.25. Let me know what you think. Yes money is an issue.

where in OC would be a good place to shop? besides 4wheelparts.
Damn, this sounds so familiar: I remember a late night rebuild in a campground with a carrier out of a D44 TJ :D

Is it 29 spline? If so, lunchbox locker. If not, upgrade the axle.

naw its not a 29spline. I already got a quote for that upgrade and just might do it. Ill have the axles out anyways so i should just do it.

I think it would be a tough sell to keep the 8.25. I dont think I would. Esp if you EVER plan on getting any larger tires. You are kinda backed into a corner now since you are all busted up. I'd be tempted to just buy a new axle, I'm not sold on the D44, I think if i had the money i'd go for something in the big bearing ford 9" flavor.

Bang for the buck thats where its at. The D44 is alright, not the end all be all.

the ford 8.8 is not a bad option, i think I MIGHT choose that over a dana 44 if it was already equipped with discs for the following reasons...

Pro: Discs, can get em with 4.10's from the factory, most had Limited Slip, pretty stout, about on par with the 44

Cons: C-clips (though you could elimitate them), very narrow axle it will be notciable more narrow then your front unless you run wheel spacers, not as strong as a 9" and would cost about the same to setup.

I did this delima. Found a 99 8.8 in a pick a part and got it for 75 bucks. Disc brakes, calipers and all. About a week later I scored an XJ 44. The XJ 44 is under the jeep right now. Here's why I made my decision.

Pros: strong, disc brakes
Cons: Gotta fab brackets to get it in the heep.
More expensive for parts than the 44
Hangs lower than the 44

Pros: Strong enough for 33's and 35's
Bolt in
cheaper to build
More clearance

Cons: Drum Brakes
Smaller axle tubes

I don't plan on anything bigger than 33's. Sold the 8.8 which paid for a good chunk of the 44 build. It would've been about 500 more to build the 8.8 than the 44. You're in socal, and 44's pop up all the time. If you like turning wrenches you can get them for cheap in the pick a part yards.

He does bring up a decent point the 8.8 does hang down pretty low. The 44 aint no slim pig either though. While I think the 8.8 is stronger then the 44 you have to take all those items into consideration.

9" is still the way to go for a long term solution.

bubbajeeper said:
In OC, try these guys; http://www.tandjperformance.com/ they know a little about Jeeps.

Your not kidding about that one. I let them pull some bearings off of a carrier and pinion. After talking to them for 20 min while i waited thats about all i think i'd trust them to do. Maybe an oil change. I'd still trust them more then 4wheel parts though.

TnJ is not an option for someone who is on a budget. Ask me how I know. Stay away or you will overpay.

I had a similar issue after I let my wife drive my locked d35 on 33s(I bought it that way) accrossed town to drop onions off to my moms. She gave it too much gas and it blew up like a firecracker.

I pulled a d44 out of an mj from pick a part in ontario. Couldn't be more happy now. All I had to do was throw some perches on top of the tubes. The 44 will be the most cost effective in your situation though it may take a while to find one.

What's an 8.8 bracket kit cost? Screw that. If your gonna do all that bracketry may as well go to a 9" and have currie narrow it down. That would be your most long term/upgradable solution.

Pick a part on miliken in ontario right above the 60 had a xj or mj d44 almost everytime I've been there.

Its also fair to note you can find 9"s in fullsize ford cars that come w/ disc brakes and should be narrow enough to use.

Edit: now that i say this i'm having second thoughts...I'm sure someone will speak up.

Last edited:
If I could do it all over again, at your stage of build, I'd do the 8.8. It comes with 4.10 gears and a limited slip. Build it, put it in. Go to pick a part and get a dana 30 from a 4 cyl xj that is 4.10 as well. Upgrade the 30 a couple times (better shafts, new unit bearings, etc). By the time you need more than 4.10 gears and a limited slip, you won't have to ask us what you should do anymore.

Back