• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Wagoneer replacement body parts

littlenfiesty

NAXJA Forum User
87 Jeep Wagoneer Ltd., automatic straight 6, with the 4 head light system.

The front end was damaged in an accident, so I need replace some of the front end parts. I know that most parts I have to get are listed as 87 Jeep Cherokee XJ, BUT I have to replace the grille header panel. Sounds like an easy fix...but I can't figure out which part I need.

There are two that I've come across....

One that is listed for an 1984-1990 Jeep Cherokee XJ (OEM #83506616)
The other is listed to fit THAT FITS 84-85 JEEP WAGONEER
84-90 CHEROKEE; 86-90 COMANCHE (785-84-11 or OEM #55294926)

I'm not even sure which to get. My next step is to strip the front down to compare the current broken one to a picture online.

Is there any reference I could check to verify I get the right part without tearing it down first?

Also I'm looking for the wagoneer grille (new or used), but I've only come across the cherokee grille. Any direction as to where I would be able to get one would be helpful as well?

Those quad light header panels are among the rarest of XJ parts to replace. I have been trying to find one to retro my Sport to a Wagoneer front look. If at all possible, repair what you have rather than toss it out. Its fiberglass, so even if it is all busted up, with some careful effort you should get it to come out right. Pretend you have a rare Corvette. The chrome quad headlight bezels are available right now on eBay. Both right and left. But be quick. They can go fast. Saw each side for about $18 each. The stainless steel top and bottom trim from any 84-90 can be used. You might have to trim it to fit between the bezels. Just installed it on mine that way for the 85 Wagoneer grille. Also, if you need the grille itself and cannot find one, I have a spare 85 grille that I was going to eBay out for $100. Let me know if that might be of interest. You will have to figure out an alternative for the turn signal lights. Some folks have used the fog light mountings for this. Others tuck some turn signal lights behind the grille. You can figure it when you do the project. Here is a pic of the 85 grille. I have done a lot of searching, and the 86-88 OEM quad light header panel is not available anywhere through new replacement parts sources.

99275-21slots2.jpg

My own aim is to actually put quad lights on with this grille. But the missing piece is the quad header.

Can you send a pic of the current condition of the front of your XJ?

Last edited:
Those quad light header panels are among the rarest of XJ parts to replace. I have been trying to find one to retro my Sport to a Wagoneer front look. If at all possible, repair what you have rather than toss it out. Its fiberglass, so even if it is all busted up, with some careful effort you should get it to come out right. Pretend you have a rare Corvette. The chrome quad headlight bezels are available right now on eBay. Both right and left. But be quick. They can go fast. Saw each side for about $18 each. The stainless steel top and bottom trim from any 84-90 can be used. You might have to trim it to fit between the bezels. Just installed it on mine that way for the 85 Wagoneer grille. Also, if you need the grille itself and cannot find one, I have a spare 85 grille that I was going to eBay out for $100. Let me know if that might be of interest. You will have to figure out an alternative for the turn signal lights. Some folks have used the fog light mountings for this. Others tuck some turn signal lights behind the grille. You can figure it when you do the project. Here is a pic of the 85 grille. I have done a lot of searching, and the 86-88 OEM quad light header panel is not available anywhere through new replacement parts sources.

99275-21slots2.jpg

My own aim is to actually put quad lights on with this grille. But the missing piece is the quad header.

99275-21slots2.jpg

Do you still have the grille of the 85 Cherokee wagoneer

Back