• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

Wasn't sure, this was a 2wd that I shoved a high pinion in, a low pinion would've had tons of room. This one took some heat and some love.

was it the cat it was hitting? would it have cleared without cats?

Well, not a lot going on with the engine yet, still waiting on some parts to show up. Hopefully this week and can get started on it this weekend.

Did a little bit on the front axle housing.

Bought the Ruff Stuff LCA mount / coil buckets. I like the idea, but didn't consider they were made for 3" tube.

20181103_162042-me.jpg

20181103_162308-me.jpg

Considered cutting a chunk of 3" tube as a sleeve, but didn't like this one bit.

20181103_160119-me.jpg

In retrospect I should have clamshelled the axle in 3" .250 instead of using the insert sleeves, but eh, whatever.

Brought the bracket into work and had my buddy Chris redraw it for me, at 2.5" and cut them out at SFR.

20181201_142718-me.jpg

20181201_142709-me.jpg

20181103_162204-me.jpg

20181201_133753-me.jpg

If I were going to do it again I'd tweak the bracket to move the coil 3/4" or so closer to the axle, as it sits taller than I probably wanted. That said, right now the car is rear high, so it will probably level out and be just fine.

Last edited:
Before we started welding on the housing, drilled the vent hole out to 7/16, and then tapped it for a 3/8 NPT - 1/4" barb fitting so I had a better vent.

20181201_130429-me.jpg

20181201_130549-me.jpg

20181201_131254-me.jpg

And assembled with a little blue loctite.

20181201_132527-me.jpg

I didn't like Ruff Stuff's method of retaining the coil, but I really liked how Richard did the ones on 4643, so copying the setup.

Running Currie's 4" XJ coil CE-9132F. 160 over 195 for a combined rate of 88 pounds. Should be a better ride but still perform.

Measured 4.188" ID, so grabbed some 4" DOM and cut out some coil retainers.

20181201_143951-me.jpg

Its as tall as it looks. I'll trim them down with the portaband once everything is together and I see how it all fits.

This is why I outboarded the inner C's. To get proper coil spacing with the coils centered on the tube, I had to do that and trim the coil bucket both. (remember that on a stock dana 30, the coil sits forward and outboarded to where the outside of the coil is actually in front of the inner C).

20181201_171041-me.jpg

This will give me room to push the axle forward 1.25" or so keeping everything aligned, *and* let me run the trackbar to the passenger side C without hitting the coils.

Went ahead and cut/installed some lower C gussets while the plasma was running.

20181201_182442-me.jpg

We cut out some upper ones as well with trackbar accommodations, but didn't get that far before it was time to drop the axle off with the gear guy, where it's getting a Powertrax Grip Pro limited slip and 4.10 Motive gears, to be joined later by some Ten Factory chromo shafts and WJ outers.

Last edited:
How are you planning to do shock mounts? I ran the ruffstuff brackets with a 3" outer sleeve and had trouble fitting shock mounts where I wanted to. Made things work eventually but it took a few tries

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Can't say I've thought that far ahead yet, but I'll probably hang it off the LCA mount.

That was my initial plan - I've seen guys do it with stock LCA mounts and it looks like it works well there. But the ruffstuff brackets move the LCAs further outboard and there wasn't room. I ended up mounting mine on top of the LCA when I couldn't fit it else where.

I used the LCA mount for a removable shock mount, useful for future changes to longer travel shocks.
When I changed from 9" to 11" travel shocks, it was easier for me to remove and replace the mounts with new mounts, having lower mounting holes, than to cut the old mounts off and welding new ones in.

4346134447_d84ae7f223.jpg

I used the LCA mount for a removable shock mount, useful for future changes to longer travel shocks.
When I changed from 9" to 11" travel shocks, it was easier for me to remove and replace the mounts with new mounts, having lower mounting holes, than to cut the old mounts off and welding new ones in.

4346134447_d84ae7f223.jpg
This picture shows how much farther inboard stock LCA mounts are compared to the RuffStuff brackets. This was my plan but the shocks wouldn't clear the calipers at full lock.

Cal,

Are you running Dallas's newest motor mounts?

Trying to get a feel on the new bushing material.

I've currently got Brown Dogs (what was in there when I bought the rig) and debating on changing bushing, or getting a set of Dallas's. Normally I'd just get a set from SFR, but with a kid landing any moment I'm not as "free" with money :laugh: so need to make sure it's well worth it.

Ironically, i Juuuuust installed the new bushings. Its no secret that I get most of the SFR stuff free, but its usually the prototypes or old generation stuff. ;)

They are certainly way better than the Brown Dog stuff. There's still more vibe than stock, but its a lot less and you don't notice it as often. You do get a little extra vibes the first couple of days until everything settles.

Ironically, i Juuuuust installed the new bushings. Its no secret that I get most of the SFR stuff free, but its usually the prototypes or old generation stuff. ;)

They are certainly way better than the Brown Dog stuff. There's still more vibe than stock, but its a lot less and you don't notice it as often. You do get a little extra vibes the first couple of days until everything settles.

Someone who has ORIs has given up on the concept of a vibe-free smooth ride.

Last edited:

Good to hear. Keep going back and forth between the order button...if only he was running a dang sale again :laugh:

I just put SFR mounts in. instantly less vibration than the brown dogs that were in there.

Sitting in the garage, geared and waiting on install. Right now the Lab Rat is in the work bay mid engine swap.

Back