• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home made long arms

gill41083

NAXJA Forum User
thinking about making my own long arms. i have looked at some here on naxja but i think i should get some input on wich setup works the best.:helpme:

maybe im stupid lol but i get the idea the arm mounts farther back say 2 1/2 feet does this eliminate the old lc and where does the front end mount? kinda hard to tell what your looking at when looking at those pics if you have not done one i guess

does anyone on here make them to sell?

xjlt1_01.jpg

You will need a good one(RE,TNT,Kevin's) but it mounts just like stock.

You get what you pay for my brother! Especially in rod ends... You'll want to splurge a lil on rod ends. RE Superflex joints will work great at both ends on the LCAs at around 44 bucks for the large and 32 bucks for the small. The large are a direct replacement for the axle end LCA mounts and I would suggest fab a bracket to use the large on the frame end as well.

I figured it up with all the parts and all. If I did all the fab myself, all of the parts would cost right at 300 bucks for a Y-link setup. Which is just like that picture above except minus the passenger side upper control arm. That set-up pictured above is a Rusty's LA upgrade and goes for about 750 plus shipping.

Well not long arms but long radius arms. This wicked setup was done by one of my fellow local wheelers and is well done. He is running a 44/9 set up from a bronco(I think).
radiusarm3.jpg

radiusarm1.jpg

RadiusArm.jpg

finalassembly004.jpg

whats the deal with not having the passenger side uca? how is the street ability of that setup, i drive my jeep to the wheelin spot.

With 4 links the axle binds while trying to twist in 2 different directions.... By eliminating the passenger side link you have much better articulation with no binding. I don't run this set-up yet but from what I've been told it handles just fine. I'm pricing everything I need as we speak. Trying to find the most cost effective way to do it...

Binding isnt an issue if you take it into consideration when you do the build.Having both uppers is much needed on a DD,you could always "scissor" one side for the trail!

I daily drive ALOT, rally hard, and wheel hard with only one upper.

The on road characteristics of my Jeep are quite nice. I will say braking characteristics kinda sucked until I eliminated the upper rubber bushings.

RCP Phx said:
Binding isnt an issue if you take it into consideration when you do the build.Having both uppers is much needed on a DD,you could always "scissor" one side for the trail!

Why?

It gets stressed way more on the trail than it does on the street. I've never understood this line of logic.

The problem with running only one upper arm is that you can't use the stock axle side rubber UCA bushing, it's just not up to the challenge, and the axle wrap will be uncomfortable. I didn't like the axle wrap from using both stock rubber UCA bushings. With one upper arm, the joiunts need to be hard, like johnny joints or rod ends, and the axle mount needs to be reinforced to be very strong.

gill41083 said:
what kind of joints should i use for the bar ends, i have next to no money to spend so value priced parts are my style!

What's the goal of going to long arms........especially if you don't have any money to spend? You might be able to meet your goal another way for less money.

Back