• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 sides of Walker Valley Trip Report

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
Jeremy (Megawatt), Hans (XJourney, riding shotgun with Jeremy) and myself went up to Walker Valley for a short day on Saturday. The intent was just to get a few hours of trail time on the Jeeps and test out a few mod's that we had both completed over the last few weeks.

It has been years since I have last been to Walker, and Jeremy had been there a couple of times with other Naxja guys over the last few months so we planned on running Upper Mainline and Expressway and see what else we could find if time permitted.

As it was, we were supposed to meet at the main parking lot 10:00am. I was there well before time unloaded the Jeep, aired down, etc and while waiting for Jeremy and Hans (apparantly Han's needs his coffee from a particular place :D )I did a little clean up of my own in the parking lot (I can't believe the amount of garabage sitting right next to the garbage can's!!).

We ran up Upper Mainline and Expressway with no issues.

We did both get denied on the tight trail between the two tree's (where Matt broke his front Detroit recently).
DSCN9492.jpg

Of course I can't seem to retain my front coils either.
DSCN9491.jpg

this is one obstacle that my shorter lift is definetly NOT an advantage.
DSCN9493.jpg

Jeremy's attempt.
DSCN9495.jpg

much further than me, but not quite enough.
DSCN9496.jpg

DSCN9497.jpg

We also both got denied on the rock face on Expressway. It was extremely slick with water and gravel that just left all 4 wheels spinning with next to no traction.
DSCN9500.jpg

DSCN9501.jpg

DSCN9504.jpg

Jeremy tackled a few other large rock's.
DSCN9505.jpg

DSCN9507.jpg

DSCN9509.jpg

At the top we had a great lunch break, saw a very large owl (I assume it was a spotted owl, it was white with dark spots all over it).
DSCN9506.jpg

We ran back down both trails and both agreed that it was noticeably more difficult in the downhill direction. Still no major issues and made good time. We both managed to make it thru the two tight tree's that claimed Matt's front detroit.
DSCN9525.jpg

My attempt required a little extra help.
DSCN9528.jpg

DSCN9531.jpg

DSCN9533.jpg

The reason for the needed help.
DSCN9534.jpg

The needed help.
DSCN9535.jpg

DSCN9538.jpg

As the day was still young we headed over to Lower Mainline. Apparantly this is where Jeremy had previously been really stuck during the trail clean up at Walker a while back. We went through the gate keeper at the bottom and headed up the main trail (skipping the lower section of the trail). We went thru a really cool stump field with all sorts of technical sections with mud, roots, stumps, and rock's. Your typical NW type of technical trail.

I must say, I can not ever remember useing my rocksliders as much as I did this day!! I also am really impressed with the lock-rite in the front axle. I notice it much more usefull than I did when I installed the rear locker (maybe it was just this trail, but I am very happy with it).

A little climbing in the tree's later and everything came to a very quick slow down!! We ran into the most difficult, least traction, most technical trail I think I have ever been on:loveu: IT WAS INCREDIBLE!!

I am just catching back up to Jeremy when I see him sitting at a very precariouse angle.
DSCN9539.jpg

DSCN9540.jpg

DSCN9541.jpg

And there are two stumps in front of him that we can not for the life of us figure out how we are supposed to fit through

Being resourceful we decide to use all the log's around this area (yes, Jeremy realizes that this cost 10 points :D )that have obviously been used for every other truck that has been through there to build a sort of ramp up the stump so that Jeremy's killer front bumper can get past the top of the stump. It worked well and I was then able to use the same ramp and make it through with no problems (and no loss of points since I didn't touch any of the logs for my attempt, only his ;) ). Only a few more feet and the next challenge presents itself.

Jeremy was trying to manuever up into this mud hole and after finding that he wasn't making any forward progress I tried a second route. Getting into it was easy from this other side and in the process of trying to align myself with the climb back out the other side I slid sideways into a large log that punctured my upper rear quarter panel and shattered my rear glass on the drivers side (so much for no damage for the day).
DSCN9543.jpg

Of course getting out of the mud hole was a little more difficult than getting into it!! We very quickly realized that the only way out was to winch.
DSCN9544.jpg

DSCN9545.jpg

We set a winch point and got to the top to realize that the next set of obsticles (large stumps, up hill, lots of sticky mud) was only about 2 ft from the end of our last winch pull and was going to probably require more winching. Needless to say, we pulled cable again and winched up this next set of obstacles (with maybe a few feet of traction a couple of stages in the middle just to make you think like maybe you could make it from here :roflmao: )

Keep in mind that there is not enough room between each of these obstacles to turn around and winch the next person if they don't have there own!!

After a little hiking on Jeremy's behalf we found that there was an end to the trail and it wasn't much further so at least we wouldn't have to come back down the same trail. So, Jeremy enters the mud hole, very cautiously aligns himself with the hill climb to come out and manages not to destroy his rear glass. We pull cable for his winch fest and "click", "click". Oh NO!! :cry:

After a little trouble shooting, changing the "bling, gold connectors" for some real ones, and a few tightened connections on some contactors we were back in business. Jeremy get's back in his drivers seat and finds that the seat is soking wet!! :shocked: It turns out that while he was sitting at that precariouse position a couple of challenges before, he must have tweeked his front windshield and the water was coming strait through and ending up on the drivers seat.

Muddy, Wet, Cold, Hungry. We all made it back down to the main road (Lake Cavinaugh entrance) and aired up,
DSCN9546.jpg

made a few needed repairs,
DSCN9548.jpg

DSCN9547.jpg

and headed for Mt Vernon for some needed dinner.

It was an incredible day!! Very enjoyable, Very difficult, and definetly one to try again. I would guess that as it dries up it will probably become significantly easier, but still a very challenging trail.

We all agreed that with the conditions the way they were today, minimum requirements for the trail would be 33's, 2 TAD's and a winch. Taking a group of a 4 or more trucks through that trail could make for a VERY long day.

Michael

After that trail and the beating my Jeep took, it should fold like a taco any day now. I even put a dent in the THOR quarter guard. And popping the windshield loose does make me want to get the cage done sooner. Over all, I had a great time, probably my best day wheeling so far. The last four hours was intense.

Ryan and Matt, have you guys done the lower mainline lately? Yesterday was the first day I've been on that section. It was awesome!

mojojojo said:
when did ya do the exo fender skidder thingy's?

A few weeks ago.

I plan on doing the rears eventually (still not sure if I am enlarging the rear wheel wells first or not) but the Cage is happening first.

Michael

How about a new NW NAXJA initiation.

Have to run Walker to get that Rear Quarter panel dented.

Seems to be a common issue.

Megawatt said:
Ryan and Matt, have you guys done the lower mainline lately? Yesterday was the first day I've been on that section. It was awesome!

yeah, we came down the upper portion of lower mainline( if that makes any sense) on the last two walker trips, looks like you were going up it, I figured that would be pretty hairy. looks like a good time guys.
-Ryan

Blkxjkrawler said:
yeah, we came down the upper portion of lower mainline( if that makes any sense) on the last two walker trips, looks like you were going up it, I figured that would be pretty hairy. looks like a good time guys.
-Ryan

I need to get a better map of Walker.
How did you get up to the top to come down without entering through the Lake Cavinaugh side?
Michael

cool pics, those are the mossiest trees i have ever seen

That was an incredible day of wheeling. One of the best I have ever been on. And that means alot considering I was riding shotgun. Great trip guys.

I wouldn't run Lower mainline unless you had some seriously prepped rigs. It makes the Expressway look like a 2wd stocker trail. Pictures aren't doing Lower Mainline justice.

And about your minimum requirements I don't think TADs are enough, you need full lockers or spools. Even an aggressive LSD like the Truetrac wasn't enough to keep us moving at times, right Jeremy;). And your own winch, you can't mooch off someone for that hill climb. Also a full skid package including bumpers if you don't want your rig to look like Mud1059's rig, and you don't want to spend all day picking up the broken lights from your jeep.

There is a few things that weren't mentioned. Michael what about your broken d35 shaft? ;) Even quarter panel armor won't save you sometimes. It was crazy watching that 3/16" Thor quarter armor bend in slow motion.

I think the grand total for damage that day was:
1 windshield seal
1 Thor Quarter panel
1 door that no longer seals, making a total of two
1 stock quarter panel
1 quarter glass
1 Gold wing nut
2 seat covers ;)
numerous bumps and bruises

In all a great trip guys.

2xtreme said:
How did you get up to the top to come down without entering through the Lake Cavinaugh side?
Michael

We entered from the top and went down to Cavinaugh.

2xtreme said:
Michael
Michael
I have a few good maps I'll get you, its kinda hard to explain, lots of twist and turns its easier to either show you, or explain with a map in front of me.
-Ryan

IXNAYXJ said:
Wha!!! Why didn't you mention that, Michael...? Just slipped your mind, huh? :D

-----Matt-----

Sorry,
I guess that one slipped my memory for a moment.
I know own a spiral sheared D35 shaft!! :explosion

Although, It wasn't from my Jeep :D
Michael

XJourney said:
We entered from the top and went down to Cavinaugh.

Uh, OK.

But we were going UP hill.

I just can't figure out how to get to where we were (in the opposite direction) without starting at the Cavinaugh entrance?

I think the grand total for damage that day was:
1 windshield seal
1 Thor Quarter panel
1 door that no longer seals, making a total of two
1 stock quarter panel
1 quarter glass
1 Gold wing nut
2 seat covers
numerous bumps and bruises

I also dented my rock slider extentions trying to get through those two tree's. Still in one piece, but never the less dented.

Michael

I still have to take a pressure washer to my Jeep and inspect for more damage. It may have been the final trip for my power steering pump as well.

Ryan, we entered lower mainline from the end we tried during the clean-up a couple months back. You know...where I got stuck and Matt had to winch me out. I did not run this trail (lower mainline) with you guys on the last 2 trips that I've been to Walker with you.

Megawatt said:
I still have to take a pressure washer to my Jeep and inspect for more damage. It may have been the final trip for my power steering pump as well.

Ryan, we entered lower mainline from the end we tried during the clean-up a couple months back. You know...where I got stuck and Matt had to winch me out. I did not run this trail (lower mainline) with you guys on the last 2 trips that I've been to Walker with you.

your right, We went down it the next day after your stuck, and then Matt and I came down it on the scouting trip, my Bad. Did you guys come up the lower section of lower mainline(below the road) too?

Back