• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home built traction bar???

Matt99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Who has built a traction bar for the rear of their XJ? I am getting some axle wrap and need to build one.

I can build pretty much anything. I have access to a milling machine, tube bender, plasma cutter, etc.

Let me see what everyone else has built, mostly where you mounted it to on the body and axle.

In September Petersen's 4 Wheel & Offroad there is a well built Tacoma with a sweet triangulated upper rear link that controls axle wrap. Check it out.

Dont listen to Jim, what does he know, his jeep does'nt even run yet.

There is a nice write up on the MADXJ list on a homebuilt antiwrap bar that I copied a couple of years ago. Have not broken a rear drive shaft ujoint since.

Ray

Pili's got a point there.....

Sorry about the wild goose chase. I looked at MADXJ and they upgraded their technical section and I could not find the antiwrap bar writeup. I'll look for it today and repost.

Check this out.....my uneducated guess is you would want to be as close as you can on whatever side of the diff housing you can be on. On the XJ that usually means driver's side cuz the pass side has the exhaust goodies. And you would want to mirror the lengt of the driveshaft at least thinking that a longer arc of movement is created. Last I would think (gut feeling) that although you don't want to lose clearance below the tube that you would want the lower axle mount for the bar at least below the center of the axle tube if you get my meaning. This is on my list of "build before you buy" items. HTH

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/axlewrap/
P

Finishing this still hasn't risen to the top of my project list. :rolleyes:

The last picture is just a mock-up of the final mounting. I plan on reversing the shackle to bring up the bar for more clearance. If you build one, make sure to allow for a method of pinion angle adjustment.

TractionBarSeries.jpg

Thanks for all of the replies guys.

Those are some pretty nice welds on that one. :rolleyes:

I was gonna say..........but to see yours I'd have to scrape all the rust off just to find the welds! :D

Back