• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Requirements, PLAN NOW

Or grab a 2in tongue and stick a D-shackle through it (instead of a ball)... Thats what I've used just fine...

i have just put the strap loop through the hitch pin it works good but if the hitch is under watter or something it could be hard to get to

I do have a ball hitch that i could knock the ball out of and go your route

i have just put the strap loop through the hitch pin it works good but if the hitch is under watter or something it could be hard to get to

I do have a ball hitch that i could knock the ball out of and go your route

Yeh, I hook it up with the strap already on the shackle and then throw the strap in the back and close the hatch... Get stuck, open hatch throw out strap, we're moving again...

EDIT: Then again, the 3 times I've used the strap its been on the front end... :S

Front hitch would 'tie' the front of the 'frame' together, make it a little stronger... But you lose approach angle/clearance (if you're a smaller lift, could be an issue)

Hooks/shackles stay up close, will get the job done, could potentially bend/pull out if pulled at wrong angle.... (Ask me how I know....)

I say go with the front hitch over the hooks and brackets. With the hidden hitch on the front it tucks up in there nicely and as already stated, it ties in both sides instead of pulling off one side. A couple years ago I paid $135.00 for my front hitch.

100_1547.jpg

or around the rear view mirrors...remember that one time we wrapped the tow chain around that drivers neck?? :D

I called a shop about installing front tow hooks and they'll charge
for 3 hours of work. I don't think it's reasonable 'cause Attitude
says this can be done in an hour but they're all booked up in
the next ten days or so.

Could anybody recommend a shop/mechanic in (north) Chicagoland?

Could anybody recommend a shop/mechanic in (north) Chicagoland?

Start a thread in the main MWC forum there is a couple of people from northern IL that im sure would help you out, those tow hooks should be fairly easy i wouldn't take it to a shop

yeah the worst part about tow hooks is the steering box bolts... and you're gonna have to touch those at some point, might as well get it over with.

I believe it was a 1 or 2 beer job when I did the install.

Hey crew,
I have a question about a rear Class III trailer hitch. I have a factory hitch that I put on my rig. I don't enjoy using the nutstrips and I didn't have any laying around right now so I used Grade 8 bolts. I have 4 in the passenger side but can only get 3 in the drivers side because of the gas tank fill tube. Is this adequate enough? As I said, it's the factory hitch that goes all the way to the back holes. Let me know.
Thanks,
Collin

Hey crew,
I have a question about a rear Class III trailer hitch. I have a factory hitch that I put on my rig. I don't enjoy using the nutstrips and I didn't have any laying around right now so I used Grade 8 bolts. I have 4 in the passenger side but can only get 3 in the drivers side because of the gas tank fill tube. Is this adequate enough? As I said, it's the factory hitch that goes all the way to the back holes. Let me know.
Thanks,
Collin

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. that's a total of 7 bolts. I'd trust it.

dan

I'd trust it so long as it has washers on the bolts inside the frame rail. I installed mine without those before and one mushroomed out a bit after towing for a while, the frame rails aren't very stiff material.

That's just me though, I am not event staff nor anyone you should trust without thinking about it yourself. Your mileage may vary. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt.

Back