• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Swap

mikes offroad

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know if the fuel injection system from a 1993 XJ would fit on a 1989 XJ? Reason being my son blew up his 4.0L in the 93 and I have a 4.0L out of a 89 and we want to swap the 89 motor into the 93.I think the 89 has the old renix system while the 93 has the mopar system. Will the mopar system bolt up to 89 head?
Thanks.

The answer is yes, but the ports don't line up exactly. I ran a Renix head on my 96 for a short time. Had to modify the gasket to make it work right, but it can be done.

You will need to swap all sensors and the distributor as well.

When you say you had to rework the intake gasket are the ports bigger on the 93? also do you get the intake for the 89 or the 93? for the sensors are you just swapping over all including oil/coolent etc?
Thanks

mikes offroad said:
When you say you had to rework the intake gasket are the ports bigger on the 93? also do you get the intake for the 89 or the 93? for the sensors are you just swapping over all including oil/coolent etc?
Thanks
No, but they are in a different location in relation to the exhaust ports. I was able to cut a stock gasket between the intake and exhaust and make it work. Others have said you can oval out the pin holes on the intake and raise the intake a little for better alignment.

I reuse all the HO stuff on the Renix head. Everything bolts right up. Yes, I swapped all sensors. I’m not sure if any or compatible between Renix and HO models.

Back