• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MANDITORY SAFETY CHECKS

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
All vehicles will be inspected prior to participating in any runs. If you want to ride with us, you have to at least meet these standards. You have lots of time to get this in order, so no excuses will be accepted.

1. At least one, visibly charged fire extinguisher (Type B:C, or A:B:C)

2. First Aid Kit

3. Adequate spare tire, Jack, and Lug Wrench

4. Safety belts for driver and any pasengers

5. Adequate attachment points in the front AND rear of the vehicle. Acceptable forms of attachment points are: Tow Hooks of OEM or greater integrity, D-Rings, Shackles or Clevis.

6. At least one, 20ft, 10,000 lb Snatch Strap WITHOUT metal hooks.

7. A properly secured Battery

8. All heavy objects inside the vehicle must be securely stowed and tied down.

Missing some of these? Then, get your butt in gear and get some! :) You have several months!

In addition, we have some SUGGESTIONS for further enhancing the safety and comfort of your ride:

A functioning CB radio - permanent or handheld (This one should actually be a minimum requirement, and it is highly recommended!)

Appropriate Tools

A 2nd Fire Extinguisher

Duct Tape

Rocker Protection or Armor

Skid Plates (at least Transfer Case and Gas Tank)

Tires in Good Condition (especially sidewalls) Note: AT's are usually better than MT's for this terrain.

One Gallon of Water per person

Hi-energy snacks

Critical vehicle fluids (engine oil, ATF, Coolant, Gear Oil) Gasoline only in approved, well mounted EXTERIOR containers. Better choice: make sure you are FULL before you start the trail (Ask me how I know)

Hi-Lift Jack

Spare Parts (especially hoses and belts. Machined parts if you REALLY are concerned)

Tarp, spare rope

Emergency Signaling devices

Detailed Topo Maps / GPS

Change of clothing/shoes, warmer outerwear, blanket.

Last edited:
She probably will, but you can't keep up with her so you are out of luck.

related question, what size fire estinguisher do you guys run with?

For buggy or buggy-like vehicles, may a strap be wrapped or passed around fully welded tube bumpers or crossmembers in lieu of tow hooks or D-ring mounts?

For buggy or buggy-like vehicles, may a strap be wrapped or passed around fully welded tube bumpers or crossmembers in lieu of tow hooks or D-ring mounts?

Common sense will prevail. If it is strong enough and safe enough, then all will be fine.

On a trailered rig/buggy is a spare required to be on the vehicle? I have no idea where i would mount a 39.5" spare on my Jeep. Even if I were to get a flat it would still be able to limp back to the trailer or worse case run back down and snatch it up.

For the hard core group we tend to know what we need and where to keep it and tend to be in a smaller group on shorter trails

So if I don't have a spare on the rig thats cool? I don't even have one yet and as I'm planing on going to a different rim/tire next year I'd prefer not to even bother. I can borrow one for this trip if absolutely neccessary ( a buddy runs the same tires) but I definately don't want to have to fab up a tire mount for 1 trip.

I'll take the lack of an answer as meaning I don't a spare on my almost buggy, thanks for playing.

Back