• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Here's a lighter note. I was sitting on my porch reading, I do that a lot. A two-door red XJ pulled up with some kid I didn't recognize driving. Since I've been missing my two-door for a while, my first thought was, is someone making my day??? The kid had on a high visibility vest, and opened the hatch on the jeep, and I saw Amazon packages. I was rather surprised, as I see a lot of badged Amazon vans in my neighborhood, and the plain white ones also. The jeep was rather beat. I went to get the package from him, and saw that his passenger taillight was busted, and remembered that I had one sitting around. I got it for him. He was kind of flabbergasted, but I think he really was into the Cherokee, and maybe he'll find NAXJA.

Ive already handed out my NAXJA cards i got with my membership... Cool of you to hook him up, thats awesome!

I thought i read that a zj or wj v8 can be swapped? Cant remember where but i could be wrong lol

I was lucky enough to find the 160 amp for my ZJ... Adding a dodge v8 or cummins alternator os on my short list...

Here's a good how to:

https://youtu.be/7yKXj1JgbZ8

I was down off Mississippi and Havana off i-225 delivering to Costco and I spotted 4 Bernie Sanders for president stickers on car windows ... LoL ... When I see these I always laugh thinking the operator of the vehicle must be " touched "... I can't believe Sanders has any supporters let alone anyone willing to advertise the support on their car window.

Aw jeez Mike! We get George to use punctuation and spacing, proofread the text on his phone, and now you want him to post in an unused forum?

I guess things would pick up over there. :laugh3:

I thought i read that a zj or wj v8 can be swapped? Cant remember where but i could be wrong lol

Yeah zj easy swap, but you never read whether folks think it's actually helpful. I've read "my gauges don't budge now", but mine never have stock lol. Just seems a good upgrade maybe. I have a winch, lights, and crank the stereo.

Just Empty Every..........

Yeah zj easy swap, but you never read whether folks think it's actually helpful. I've read "my gauges don't budge now", but mine never have stock lol. Just seems a good upgrade maybe. I have a winch, lights, and crank the stereo.

Just Empty Every..........

On my ZJ i did the 5.9 160amp swap and noticed a much more steady guage... And when my 3 amp system was up, the lights didnt dim a bit. I also had a power capacitor that helped but wasnt enough with the stock alternator. My zj would nearly stall at stop lights without giving it any gas before the upgrade

I run a Durango 160a unit.

Other than what I would call a small amount of grinding to clearance the metal bracket, it's a bolt in.

Ive got 0 or 1awg ground and power with everything else mains wise. I need to match all that with the same to the pdc and add an 150Amp ANL fuse I believe.

I figured it's a good upgrade to do if I want to ever run dual battery also.

Does anyone know why the alternator has a feed to the starter solenoid? This makes no sense to me, seemingly useless as the battery kicks the starter.

After having a 60 gallon compressor sitting for a year uninstalled, finally went ahead and got it mounted and plumbed last month.

Won't lie, been real nice to have...when I didn't think I'd really use it *that* much.

Not that loud really, and will soon throw some Amsoil compressor oil in when I change the break in oil out...supposedly will quiet it down a little.

47959466382_f256f12216_c.jpg

The copper acts as a condenser line, helping to remove moisture from the air supply.

There is a drain at the bottom that isn't visible in the picture.

Drain the tank and the copper condenser line regularly, and it helps keep the air coming out of the separator, filter, and desiccant as dry as possible (without a bit more inline stuff).

I’ve been running the same Lowe’s compressor for a decade, still has the original oil and I don’t run a dryer. Drain the tank maybe once a year and almost no moisture ever comes out. Admittedly I barely use it though as I’ve got a full set of cordless impacts/rachets/drivers that i prefer.

I’ve been running the same Lowe’s compressor for a decade, still has the original oil and I don’t run a dryer. Drain the tank maybe once a year and almost no moisture ever comes out. Admittedly I barely use it though as I’ve got a full set of cordless impacts/rachets/drivers that i prefer.

Eh, I'll change out the oil...stuff gets pretty nasty, especially after its initially run for a bit.

The half a dozen times I've drained my tank, I've gotten about a half a pint total from them all, so I definitely get moisture. My drain line is 1/2 pipe with an on/off ball valve that's just in front of the tank. Makes it a 5 second deal I can do with my foot. However it is damn near deafening if you open it full bore. Even with earmuffs on it's a bit loud :laugh:

I want to keep it as dry as I can for two things mainly...plasma and painting.

The copper acts as a condenser line, helping to remove moisture from the air supply.

There is a drain at the bottom that isn't visible in the picture.

Drain the tank and the copper condenser line regularly, and it helps keep the air coming out of the separator, filter, and desiccant as dry as possible (without a bit more inline stuff).
How much does the desiccant cost?

No idea, it came with the setup (on the wall up and to the right).

It's reusable, and came with more than twice the amount needed.

This is what I got:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Compre...=1525997266124a97ae16fb1d4a178103beb458bcf4b8
Cool! I searched that site for desiccant beads, they priced those at $15.

When I was testing air brake systems on rail cars, we used a screw type compressor. To condition the air for the test equipment, the charge went through a regulator, single stage desiccant filter, followed by a mist separator/particle filter. I thought that was a little backwards, I switched the desiccant filter with the mist separator/particle filter. I soon learned the desiccant beads broke down and clogged the orifices inside the test equipment. Something to keep in mind if your plasma acts up. ;)

Cost-wise, every time I filled the canister with new desiccant, it cost $100. During the winter months, I could go 4 to 6 weeks without a change. During the spring, and monsoon season, I would have to change-out every 2 weeks. We did dry out the desiccant beads, but they had only 2 or 3 cycles because the screw compressor would contaminate them with oil.

Back