• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parking the XJ

1990XJ4x4

NAXJA Member #1158
My parents have recently bought some new property and are building a garage and a shop out there. They have given me the option to drive our 1990 honda accord and park the jeep out there to save some money.

The question is, if I put it to full time trail rig duty, what is the best thing to do about insurance / licensing. I still want to be able to trailer it out to places and wheel, but a lot of parks require insurance and a liscenced vehicle.

I am doing this because it will save me a lot of money on gas / maintenance / insurance. And a vehicle that I can drive with a tie on since I will be starting co-op soon.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1990XJ4x4 said:
Must have missed the whole part about saving money. I only have liability right now and its costing $2000 a year. Thats twice what I paid for the Jeep.

Ouch. I forgot how bad it was to be a young man paying insurance. I pay for the full coverage not because it's a "good deal", but because I can't (won't) afford to replace a car in the event of an accident. Cost vs. risk, you decide. You have a LOT more cost though, I only pay $150/month on two vehicles.

Ouch, I pay like $48 a month full coverage on my 98XJ, USAA

1990XJ4x4 said:
Must have missed the whole part about saving money. I only have liability right now and its costing $2000 a year. Thats twice what I paid for the Jeep.
No I didn't, I just wanted to make you think about benefits of full coverage.

start shopping around for new rates. even mine weren't that high when i got my first cars. when i was 18 my corvette(insured value $11,000) was only $900 a year. the weird thing is my jeeps insurance is almost as much as my corvette and not worth nearly as much. LOL

here are some tips to get your insurance rates down.

tag onto parents insurance plan till you get older, don't get tickets/accidents, don't call them for every little thing. if the damage isn't at least twice your deductable, pay out of pocket. the more you use the insurance, the more it will cost. getting married really brings down insurance cost, and then every year you get older it'll drop a little bit.

if its a trail only rig, what about licensing it as a OHV?

Back