• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Praise? Gripes/complaints? Ideas?

stumpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Lets hear it. This was our (myself, Nick and Tim's) first crawl running the show. Most of what we did, we used from the previous years as it seemed to work, as well as a lot of guidance from Ed, Mark, and Glenn.

Constructive criticism/praise please, not looking for this to turn into a bash fest.

I know I personally learned a lot this year leading up to the crawl, and have a much better feel for what to do for next year. I am fairly certain Nick and Tim feel the same way. Overall, we were all very pleased with how it all turned out, weather aside! Not much we could do about Mother Nature...

Mother nature dealt us a major blow this year. The weather was decent for the wheeling but during the meal it was rough. It was handled the best it could have been. Thank goodness Stump provided the large tent and several easy ups joined in to keep most everyone somewhat dry. 2008 was the same way. You deal with it and move on.

I loved the potluck. Everyone pitched in and it was delicious.

The Saturday night festivities with the rain went well. The rain on the tents made it hard to hear during the beginning of the raffle (once again something you haven't experienced during the last three years). The rain stopped and all went well. The meal was a warm and easy to eat meal..my kids love pizza and wings. Raffle went well. Awards were awesome and you guys had some real fun with some of them....(next year I will learn the correct way to play rock-paper-scissors).

As far as improvements, the SEC might look at investing in another tent or two like the one Stump provided. He said they were cheap when found on sale. I've bugged the campground for a pavilion since day one but they haven't built one yet. It could be cheap insurance.

I think this year you did much better and getting the rides on the trail on time. All of the meetings and meals were also held on time (whether everyone was present or not) which is a good thing.

All in all the current SEC BOD put on a fantastic event that I plan to attend for many more years. The great attitude of the participants was also great to see. Good job guys!

Naxja banner or sec banner would have been nice to see for any newbies to know where to be.

I didn't see tech inspections.

You guys dealt with the rain awesomely. Having all those tents up for the potluck and raffle was great planning. Having the PA during the raffle while raining was also a good idea. I had a great time and the sec had another great crawl. I can't wait until crawl '14! Who's coming to WF'14?

Naxja banner or sec banner would have been nice to see for any newbies to know where to be.

I didn't see tech inspections.

You guys dealt with the rain awesomely. Having all those tents up for the potluck and raffle was great planning. Having the PA during the raffle while raining was also a good idea. I had a great time and the sec had another great crawl. I can't wait until crawl '14! Who's coming to WF'14?

I looked over the Jeeps in my group at the cabin before we left each day. I thought this worked really well. I also knew at least 80% of the guys as they have ridden with me before and they are probably better prepared than I am.

This. When we pulled in, I had no idea where to go. I kinda recognized Glenn's Jeep from pictures, but still wasn't sure what or where we needed to be.

Stephen was talking about building a shelterhouse when we checked in; he was trying to sell me his Dana 60/70 combo to raise funds :D

Everything went great from what I could tell, can't wait until next year!

This. When we pulled in, I had no idea where to go. I kinda recognized Glenn's Jeep from pictures, but still wasn't sure what or where we needed to be.

The banners were my fault guys. They were in the back of my Jeep the whole time (as those of you with us on the easy ride Saturday noticed during the group picture we took). I should have put them on Stump's tent Friday night and left them there. I had intentions of putting them up Saturday, but given the weather that didn't happen. I apologize for those who arrived and didn't know where to go, especially if you arrived while we were on the trails.

We are entertaining the idea of getting a tent/canopy for the chapter, rather than relying on members to bring theirs. That would mean we could put it up at the beginning of the weekend and leave it up with the banners on it the whole time.

As for tech inspections, I had the intentions of doing them Thursday and Friday as people arrived, but when it looked like it was going to be left up to each group leader to tech their groups, I let it be. I did look over Matt's rig when he arrived Thursday because he had some questions about what was required. Truth be told, I like the idea of letting the group leaders do tech like we did. Seemed to work very well!

Keep the comments coming guys!

Letting the group leaders donor is a good idea if the group leaders actually do it or even know to do it. When we were talking around the fire after dinner it sounded like no one was ever teched.

I was glad there were no wristbands...

Steven was trying to sell me and Pat the entire CJ5 that the 60/70 combo was under...

If there was a central location for people to go to check in with the sec chapter, it would probably help Tim track everyone down for their registration packets, even with that said, he did great in getting everything to everyone and is very well organized. I think you are right on track with a popup tent or canopy, that would make it nice for shade and cover for rain.

Maybe a few more trash cans around the dinner.

You could flip the awards and the raffle, but it seemed to work fine with the raffle first.

I very much enjoyed the event. Its my only real vacation the last two years where I'm not responsible for doing anything, other events I attend I have racing responsibilities and/or organization responsibilities. You guys did great and I'm glad to see you are looking to make it better.

The 4th next year also falls on my day off, so tentatively we will be looking to make the trip again. I also enjoy getting to go wheeling on my birthday.

mac 'glad to not work july 5th' gyvr

Make the crawl longer!!! i'm for a week long crawl fest.

2nd the week long crawl!!

About the shelter idea(s)...what about a shelter out of PVC and and some large tarps? I built a chicken coop our of PVC and if I threw a tarp over it it would make for a nice shelter from the weather for a few days for sure.

Have someone pick up a fair few 10' sections of 1.5-2"" PVC and some fittings. Get a couple other folks to go in together and get some decent tarps and then some others to get some way to tie the tarps down. Wouldn't be long before there would be a large fairly weather proof shelter that would be easy enough to set up/take down, fairly easy to transport, and would be pretty darn cheap. Then it could also be used at other events throughout the year.

After 10 years of attending this event I can say that this was one of the best representations of what this group is about. The determination of this group to have fun no matter what the weather and no matter what is thrown at us is evident by the success of this event. You guys did a great job and I only see it getting better if that is even possible!

I actually did come up with a very big gripe...I'm not still there! Oh and another question...IS IT JULY YET!

I keep watching vids and looking at pics and I really hate Florida. :(

I actually did come up with a very big gripe...I'm not still there! Oh and another question...IS IT JULY YET!

I keep watching vids and looking at pics and I really hate Florida. :(

Me too... hence why my family lives in Vero and I live in SC.... Move?

Me too... hence why my family lives in Vero and I live in SC.... Move?

My fam is in Naples and I'm in Ohio which sucks just as bad for wheeling.

Ive been hunting for property north of Atlanta for a few years now. Right now we're eyeing 178 acres in Edmonton, KY...about 4 hours west of Harlan. It's owned by a friend of my wife's and it's not officially for sale but they want to get rid of it and offered it for $1K per acre. Has a barn/living quarters already. I just hope they hang on to it until we have the $$ to snatch it up.

We have around an 8 year plan...once our oldest son graduates high school (8 years) we should be in a position to move or at least get some property further north if we don't already by that time.

My fam is in Naples and I'm in Ohio which sucks just as bad for wheeling.

At least you are near some wheeling... right?

Ive been hunting for property north of Atlanta for a few years now. Right now we're eyeing 178 acres in Edmonton, KY...about 4 hours west of Harlan. It's owned by a friend of my wife's and it's not officially for sale but they want to get rid of it and offered it for $1K per acre. Has a barn/living quarters already. I just hope they hang on to it until we have the $$ to snatch it up.

We have around an 8 year plan...once our oldest son graduates high school (8 years) we should be in a position to move or at least get some property further north if we don't already by that time.

Yea, Ben and Glenn have 4 years of HS then 4 years of college. Then I might relocate.

Back