• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FS: Tom Woods Shaft

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Tom Woods custom rear drive shaft for sale. Asking $125 OBO. I'll try and get a picture up tonight.

I'll grab a measurement when I get home this evening.

Well if I can make it work for me Ill take it.

No balance issues? Ujoints? Age of joints?

34.75 inches. The ujoints are in good shape. They need a little grease but this shaft hasn't been on a jeep in sevreal years. No balance issues.

20160115_181500_zpstq2ut2gh.jpg

What size lift was it on? 5.5 or 6.5? And rear axel?

4.5 inch and d35.

Anyone have comparison on a 5.5 and an 8.8? It seems close and it should work but hate to pick it up and it be too long.

If it does end up being too long you could probably have it shortened. Overall it would still probably be cheaper than the $300-$500 price tag on a brand new shaft.

The driveshaft shops in Nashville charge around $65 to shorten a shaft.

I'm definitely interested in this shaft if he passes. I will need to double check the length I need when I get to work tomorrow.

No worries. It's still just hanging out in my garage.

Are you not able to measure your Jeep?

Sure but I don't have that setup yet and I'm trying to plan ahead.
Ghost. Go for it. I'll let her go. No reason to take it for myself if I can't use it right away and you need it.

Sure but I don't have that setup yet and I'm trying to plan ahead.
Ghost. Go for it. I'll let her go. No reason to take it for myself if I can't use it right away and you need it.

Oh. In that case, my Jeep is lifted 5.5" and has an 8.8. 4.0/AW4/NP231. I'm running a bone stock front drive shaft in the rear with the AA SYE.

Oh. In that case, my Jeep is lifted 5.5" and has an 8.8. 4.0/AW4/NP231. I'm running a bone stock front drive shaft in the rear with the AA SYE.

Yup. Right now I have my front flipped as 2 of the other fronts I had were unbalanced and really rough. Stock shafts should be fine in most cases but know that 6 inches is pushing the limits of that shaft for "proper" length. With an 8.8 you gain some of that back due to the depth of that differential and I wonder if the near 35" DS would then be too long.
I'm safer just waiting but its so tempting as with that price and proximity.

The driveshaft shops in Nashville charge around $65 to shorten a shaft.
Man, the places downtown are highway robbery.

I'm actually in need of a spare front. My front is 35.125 so this should work. Shipping? 29550 Like I said though you are local and you have first dibs.

Man, the places downtown are highway robbery.

Yup, I called around about having my Tom Woods shaft rebuilt (Since he refused to warranty the burnt up shaft with less than 15k miles on it) and ended up just having Carolina Driveline just build me a new one with Spicer parts for $199.00

Tom quoted me more than that to rebuild his drive shaft. Looks like the one that's for sale here is one of Tom's old shafts before his started using Chinese "Gold Seal" u-joints.

Replace AA SYE with Rugged Ridge SYE and you have the exact same set up I do.

Yup, I called around about having my Tom Woods shaft rebuilt (Since he refused to warranty the burnt up shaft with less than 15k miles on it) and ended up just having Carolina Driveline just build me a new one with Spicer parts for $199.00

Tom quoted me more than that to rebuild his drive shaft. Looks like the one that's for sale here is one of Tom's old shafts before his started using Chinese "Gold Seal" u-joints.

The guy near me who supposedly does the best in Nashville is asking for 340 with Spicer and he's not even balancing them using current precision methods.
I think I need to look further outside of town.

Back