• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Out with the carpet, in with the rubber mat - lots of pics

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
My carpet stank so I pulled it, but the bare floor gets hot, and I didn't really like the look of it. So I found some rubber mat at tractor supply co. that is sold as bedliner, seen here.
DSC01299.jpg

It's pretty thick:
DSC01300.jpg

So I cut it up and put it in, it's already somewhat dirty:
DSC01297.jpg

DSC01296.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

DSC01298.jpg

I like it a lot. It's not perfect, but I'm no longer getting cooked. It looks more like a tough work truck now also. This mat is tough. It was a bitch to cut, and should hold up for a very long time. Let me know what y'all think.

That's a waste of time. You should have just bought some Herculiner, removed your seats... and rolled it in. Now your floor is ugly, there's seams for water and mud to penetrate and hide, and it doesn't seal anything out.

barillms said:
That's a waste of time. You should have just bought some Herculiner, removed your seats... and rolled it in. Now your floor is ugly, there's seams for water and mud to penetrate and hide, and it doesn't seal anything out.
Well you kind of set yourself up for that one. You will always have critics.
People are just that way. If it isn't their idea it stinks. Just go with it. Sealing it is a good idea though. Herculiner peals off so I'd stay away from it. It sure ain't gonna hold out the heat from your exhaust. You cured your problem with stinky carpet and have padded flooring now so you accomplished what you set out to do.

AlabamaBill said:
Seems are a problem, maybe someone can make a suggestion on sealing them for the guy instead of slamming his work and idea.

Bill

The answer is so obvious.
Duct tape.;)

Not to knock his work, just to add another thought. I think I wouldve Hurculined under the mat so whatever moisture did get under it, wouldnt contact any metal.

Last edited:
I guess I don't see the seams being that bad. with the seams the way they are, it looks like you could remove parts of it to get under and wash it out once in a while. Unless you gets standing water in there I dought to much will get under neither it anyway.

KSXJ said:
I guess I don't see the seams being that bad. with the seams the way they are, it looks like you could remove parts of it to get under and wash it out once in a while. Unless you gets standing water in there I dought to much will get under neither it anyway.

That's what I'm thinking. While not as easy to remove as floor mats, I can lift them up without pulling the trim. I plan on drilling holes and putting in drain plugs to let the water out so that it can be washed out pretty easily. If it proves to be too much trouble to lift it up to drain I'll just drill a hole in the mat as well. I don't plan on taking my jeep swimming, so I won't have to deal with it often. It isn't a mud bogger. Most of the mess will be whatever is tracked in by me, the passengers, and the dogs.

I think it looks better than herculiner. Now I can't see all the metal seams and ridges that are in the floor, and the rubber mat does a good job of insulating from heat and sound, which I hear herculiner doesn't. Also, it was only $44, so aboult half the cost. Like I said, I'm happy with it. :wave:

Ray H said:
The answer is so obvious.
Duct tape.;)

Not to knock his work, just to add another thought. I think I wouldve Hurculined under the mat so whatever moisture did get under it, wouldnt contact any metal.

Hurculiner would've been nice too, but not in the budget at this time. The jeep leaks when it rains, which is why the carpet stank, but there wasn't much rust. The only rust was in the back behind the driver's seat, and I wire brushed it and painted it. Should be ok for a while. Herculiner would be better, but just paint seems to have done a good job so far. And it's a ton cheaper.

One nice thing about this mat is the bumps on the back that are designed to keep it off the metal and alow water to drain.

Ukraine Train said:
Do you possibly have pictures of the floor without any carpet in? I'd like to see how the cabin wires are routed down the passenger side. Thanks.

I didn't get any pictures, but there weren't any wires there.

EliasJ123 said:
Has it helped deaden the sound a bit??

Elias
Eh-lee-us

A bit, but not quite as much as the stock carpet+padding. But my jeep wasn't very loud without any carpet. Above 40 I mainly only heard wind noise unless I tried to hear the road noise.

Yeah, super not pretty but hey cheep right.. LOL

I would recommend some cheap rubber floor mats too.. and then maybe black duct tape for the "seam" area... certainly wont change the look....
then it will work a little betta!!!

One of the aftermarket carpet places had a rubber mat replacement for XJ carpet. I'll see if I can find it.

Starscream said:
A few more questions:

How much heat does it prevent - some, most, all?
Does it get hot to the touch? Melt at all?
How heavy is it?

It stops most of the heat. I'd say it's about the same as carpet without padding. The trans tunnel would get too hot to touch for more than a second, and now when I press my hand there it just feels a little warm. Not bad at all.

It hasn't melted yet, and I doubt it will. But if it does I'll report it.

I don't know how heavy it is. Definatly heavier than the carpet+padding or herculiner. The whole roll probably weighed about 50 lb, and I'm probably using 3/4 of it in the passanger area. There wasn't enough to do the very back, so I'll do that later. If I get another roll of the same stuff I'll weigh it.

Back